Recommendations for Newcastle Valuer

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by TanyaandMichael, 5th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TanyaandMichael

TanyaandMichael New Member

I wasn't 100% sure where to put this question so I apologise if I have put it in the wrong forum.

We own a property in Newcastle,NSW. Bought in 2001 for $114,000. In September 2018 we put the house on the market for $540,000. Over the next 3 months we reduced it to $510,000 but it didn't sell. On the 8th of December we rented the house out and moved to Qld. We have just found out that we should have had a property valuation done in December by a valuer for CGT reasons. We have had a depreciation schedule done but the valuation of the entire property was not mentioned.

We would appreciate any recommendations for a valuer. Should we get this done before the end of the financial year? The next house inspection is the 24th of July. We have fantastic tenants and are trying not to stuff them around too much.

Thanks

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

from another thread :Primary residence to investment property

There is no requirement for a reg valuer (now) but later on its likely only a reg valuer would have access to the data.

Google newcastle property valuer. Your agent may assist ? They need to have a objective basis for determining an amount. A agent opinion itself may lack this detail and fail to address what the value was back in december

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I read this that it was a main residence until December 2018 when it became an IP.

Wouldn't it be easier to pay a valuer now to ascertain a value from six months ago when it was rented?

Six months isn't too far back if a valuation as at December is what will be needed in the future.

Or have I misunderstood the question?

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It may. However if the 6 year absence rule was later used the whole gain may be tax exempt and that cost may have been wasted. Need to weight up each case. It may be cost effective to defer the valuation until 6 years or the actual sale.

5. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Hi Tanya,

How did you go with getting a valuer?

If you haven't got anyone yet, try Rob Darcy - 0409 562 633