Recommendations for a Surveyor in Gold Coast

Discussion in 'Development' started by Muse, 6th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Muse

Muse Member

good afternoon
    I'm looking for a surveyor in the Gold Coast area. Looking to split a duplex that is currently on one title in the suburb of Merrimac. Your recommendations would be most appreciated.

2. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Hi mate, since noone has got a specific recommendation for you i will give you a general one. My recommendation is to firstly use the surveyor your designer recommends / normally uses. This way there is already a relationship formed and expectations are known. It also gives your designer an opportunity to request any 'extras' that might be needed for your specific job.

If your designer doesnt have a recommendation or you want to use someone else, i would Google 'land surveyor *insert suburb*'. Then choose one of the smaller 'mum and pop' firms. The benefit of using your local smaller surveying firm is generally they are very experienced in your type of job and cheaper (less overheads). If your job was a 1000 lot subdivision then my recommendation would be use a big firm, but for small jobs go local.

Muse likes this.
  3. Muse

Muse Member

Thanks for the information lixas4, my mother built the duplex some time ago so will ask her who she used and Google as well :)

4. 10927

10927 Member

Hi Muse,
    I recently sold a pair of duplexes on the one title in Labrador. Can I ask why are you splitting the titles? Unless you are just planning to sell one half of it then there is not much point and a lot of costs involved in doing so. I believe its about $6000 to get a seperate title/community title done on a pair of duplexs if I recall correctly. You will also have the costs involved with the surveying and also meeting prerequisites set out by council for the title to be split (i.e. - need seperate entrances, seperate mail boxes depending on the title you are going for ect). The pair I sold were sold together to the one buyer - buyers will look to purchase a set as they think they are getting it at a cheaper price (which often they can negotiate a better deal if both are on the market and they buy both together). Unless you absolutely HAVE to split the titles then I wouldn't bother - you are just donating money to the council for nothing. I know some people that I can refer for you to get it done however... my conveyancer worked in council for a long time so can get something like this done quicker... it takes a few months to get through council (like most things in council)

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Jul, 2017
  5. Muse

Muse Member

Thanks Michael
    Have decided to hold and keep as is.

6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Wouldnt it be better to split the titles
    split titles = more buyer opportunity = higher price
    split title = potential higher valuation from banks to refinance

only cons i can see is cost to split and double council rates if holding