Recommendations for a financial adviser

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by Sriteja Bongu, 12th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sriteja Bongu

Sriteja Bongu New Member

I never had a financial advisor, I am looking for recommendations for financial advisors to help me plan for financial independence.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Welcome.

Don't expect a flood of suggestions.....

Maybe give us an idea of where you are at - as in complete novice or someone wanting to retire tomorrow with $5m in their super etc? People get upset when we make assumptions (because there are times FPs are handy and other times when you can DIY more effectively)

The Y-man

3. Sriteja Bongu

Sriteja Bongu New Member

Thank you for taking time out to reply, as you can am new to this.

I am 42yr old novice at financial planning, spent lot of time and effort on my career and am in a good position in terms of my position and salary but haven’t put any effort to invest my income wisely. I am thinking of getting a FP to help me build a plan that I can execute.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Do a search, there was some discussion on this a few days ago here

Sriteja Bongu likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

One major misunderstanding is that a financial planner can plan a property investment investment strategy. This is NOT a product covered by a ASIC AFSL. Its unregulated and potentially full of great advisers and a lot of rogues and spruikers who could lack real estate licenses and who dabble in credit advice, broking often using "partners" who all provide the same advice = buy more property using debt that is maximised. Take care putting your toes in the water as sharks bite.

Sriteja Bongu likes this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

First, understand what a financial planner can / will and cannot / will not do. Understand how they get paid. Nothing wrong with getting paid, just make sure how they get paid is tied to your own investment results.

You will find FPs dont advise on property because of the reasons above.

Sriteja Bongu and BunnyXiao like this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Some licensees won't allow their planners to advise on property, but some will allow it. Even though it is not a financial product that doesn't mean they cannot advise. Just make sure their insurance covers this sort of advice.

craigc and Sriteja Bongu like this.