Recommendation to replace kitchen cabinets in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ambit, 23rd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Ok so had the boards sanded and sealed throughout IP in Stafford thanks to recommendation from PC members and it looks great, so I thought I'd bite the bullet and replace the old kitchen while place is vacant.
    I decided on IKEA but the PM is having trouble getting anyone to get back to her to quote.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I want a basic IKEA type kitchen, reasonable price and quality. I can't obviously have the place sitting vacant for ages so I need to get someone to do it or rent it out again as is.
    I'm in WA so PM is handling it, she has been great but no one is getting back to her from Hi pages etc via the IKEA set up
    Thanks in advance.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Get in touch with Ikea.
    They have details of people who assemble their products.
    Marg

3. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

I thought IKEA kitchens are overly expensive, is this not the case? Have you shopped around?

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

call handymen direct
    check the local papers and gumtree too

5. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

IKEA give you a reference no and the hipages website where you post the details and tradies should get back to you, the PM has done this butno one has got back to her. I'm a bit vague on the details because I just forwarded the email from IKEA to her and she has done the necessary.
    I rang IKEA today and they said it's really unusual, usually about 5 replies will arrive in half an hour.

6. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call them overly expensive, looking at examples in the store a basic kitchen seems quite reasonable and I have seen good feedback from people on here re their kitchens. I haven't shopped around because I don't have time and I'm on the other side of the country and there's only so much I would expect the PM to do.

7. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

The idea of IKEA was to avoid all that, for the reasons above. I wondered if anyone had had a similar frustrating experience, I assumed it would be pretty straightforward with IKEA and I was willing to pay a reasonable premium for that...

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

ah ok. I have seen ads for ikea install but got the feeling they weren't to interested in that side, they just want people to walk out with a trolley full of crap they dont need!

if you have the design done i'd find a handyman to take care of it. same same but different.

@8650 have you managed any ikea jobs like this?

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Jun, 2018
  9. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

That is strange.. With our last Ikea kitchen we hit the 'request quote' button thinking it was a quote for the kitchen materials, but it was for assembly from local tradies and we were inundated with quotes..
    Have you actually put together a kitchen design (on the ikea website) for tradies to quote from? If you don't have a design put together, that might be why you're not getting a response?

10. vbplease

Ikea expensive?? What would you class as reasonable or cheap? second hand?
    I'm not aware of any supplier being cheaper..

11. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Yes they don't directly put you in touch with handymen you post the details on the hipages website and handymen are supposed to fall over themselves to quote for the work. I've filled out the checklist of the choice of materials for cabinets, bench tops etc.

12. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

You may have hit the nail on the head, I filled out the details of the materials but I saw something about a measure and quote for $295 I think and I thought that was what I was going to get.
    I'll ring IKEA again and see if I can sort this out. The joys of renovating from a distance..

13. vbplease

Renovating from a distance would be hard enough.. with Ikea? You're very brave :D

Ambit likes this.
  14. 8650

8650 Well-Known Member

Have had a few put end up being more painful best to get Ikea to assemble themselves and pay them. A lot of handyman don't have time to assemble whole kitchen from flat packs.

Have you got a quote from Bunnings for the kitchen I know our handyman/builder will normally use them as they are reasonably priced and already assembled. @Ambit

15. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

I didn't think IKEA did assemble them, they just refer you to handymen who do it, would have thought assembly was part of the deal and they'll quote accordingly.

We're on track now, there was some confusion and now have arranged for IKEA to come out and design, measure etc. for $299

I'm a horrendously impatient person and I can't contemplate getting quotes from anyone else especially after the confusion, but IKEA is very well priced and I need to get on and get it done and tenanted again.

Thanks to all

16. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Pft, what could possibly go wrong? :eek:

17. Phoebe S

Phoebe S Member

Ambit did this work out for you in the end?? Did Ikea install for you as well or do you know whether they used a handyman?? Was the service good? Sorry for the all questions! We are in Brisbane and help homeowners complete 'soft' renos before they list for sale and we are often asked about installing ikea kitchens. We haven't spoken to the most helpful people there so it would be good to know if it is worth persevering?

18. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

I gave up on IKEA, I wanted their design and measure service or whatever it's called for $299, and they kept emailing this link to hipages I think it was, I forwarded it to the PM to take it from there. She didn't get any replies apart from someone apologising that they couldn't find anyone, and when she rang the number associated with that message it just went to voicemail.
    I rang IKEA a couple of times and no one could explain very clearly how it all was supposed to work, they would just send the link again but with a different suburb on the end and still no joy.
    So I rang Bunnings in Stafford, they gave me a number to ring and I passed it on to the PM and bingo, we were off. A Steve Penny from Bunnings went out and measured and designed a replacement kitchen for $99 fee, with a couple of helpful suggestions, and emailed the quote with 3 builders to contact. I chose the finishes etc at Bunnings here in Perth.
    So this week past one guy went out very quickly and measured and quoted, and another gave an approximate quote based on the drawings etc. long story short I've chosen my builder and he's pushing to get the stuff delivered because he can start straight away, only problem was I was in Bali with dodgy wifi and the wrong credit card!
    So tomorrow will be a busy day but I'm very optimistic!
    Fingers crossed it will go reasonably smoothly!
    Hope that helps. I'll post an update later

19. Phoebe S

Phoebe S Member

Wow. That sounds terrible. Goodluck tomorrow!

20. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Yes I wasted 3 or 4 weeks on IKEA. This Bunnings stuff literally all happened last week and I just got back from Bali today so fingers crossed all goes well. So thanks!

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.