Recommendation : refinance homeloan from AMP to ?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by rooster123, 8th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

ME Bank 4.09%. Unlikely to make too much of a difference though, as they know you're stuck wiht your fixed rate.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

AMP have a terrific global limit facility which if used for proper debt recycling will blow away any interest rate reduction (assuming you have the capacity and stomach for such a process)

ta
    rolf

3. rooster123

rooster123 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys you have been very helpful here. As discussed above I spoke with the AMP retention team and this is what I have been offered :

1) BreakCost for Fixed Portion ( as of today ) : 2352 + 175 = 2527
    2) AMP can revise my VARIABLE RATE to 4.20% from 4.55%
    3) AMP can break my current 4.99% "3 Year Fixed Rate Loan - Principal & Interest "
    and get me to new "3 Year Fixed Rate Loan - Principal & Interest " at 4.28%.

Now based on this I am very confused to workout on what should we do here for the "3 Year Fixed Rate Loan - Principal & Interest" portion? Should we leave it as it is at 4.99% ( for next 11 months) OR should I break it (pay breakcost) and get new fixed term at 4.28%?

Offcourse I will ask them to update the VARIABLE RATE to 4.20% from 4.55% so my confusion is about FIXED part :(

Appreciate your expert opinion.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Hi Stella,

Here's how you work out the savings or cost of breaking your fixed rate:

Step 1: Work out the difference in repayments (annual difference):
    Annual difference = Current repayment - Proposed repayment

There's plenty of P&I calculators online that you can figure out the proposed repayments.

Step 2: Figure out the proposed saving over the remaining 11 months (saving):
    Saving = Annual difference x 11 / 12

If the saving figure is greater than the exit cost you've saved money, otherwise you're gambling that rates will increase in the future and you'll save the cost of breaking your fixed rate over the next fixed period. Nobody can predict this.