Recommendation Needed - Kitchen Reno Sydney

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Average_Joe, 5th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Member

Hi All,

Has anyone renovated a kitchen in Sydney recently? I'm looking for a great kitchen mob to renovate a 2 bedroom apartment in the North Sydney area.

Tenants are moving out due to a growing family, so its a perfect time to add some value and try and increase yield. Looking to spend $10-$15k if possible.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

AJ

Cia likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

First thing I'd do is ask the rental agent if they think doing X, Y and Z will infact result in achieving a higher rent. Then see if the rental increase is worth the capital expenditure.

Any photos of current kitchen?

Archaon likes this.
  3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Is there a reason why you wouldn't ask your current agent to provide a quote on what you wish to change and do, they have access to builders or trades?
    What will this reno involve, joinery, total kitchen, appliances, flooring, etc... your question is very vague in order to answer.
    What you plan to spend should also be guided by your demographic tenants in this area, but usually I would spend no more than 2% of the property price.
    Will you outsource all the work or do some yourself?

4. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Member

Thank you @Sackie and @MWI for your responses.

The kitchen is the original 1980’s kitchen where I’d require the entire space to be stripped back, new joinery, new plumbing, new electricals, new flooring and all new appliances. The bathroom was fully renovated 4 years ago along with a full cosmetic reno (paint, new built in wardrobes, blinds etc) with the kitchen the last piece of the puzzle.

I’ll dig out a photo when I get home and send it through.

The property was last valued at $920 therefore fits in with the budget allocated. The investment should bring about a $60-$80 increase in rent compared to others recently leased (20-25% ROI).

I’ve got the agent providing quotes from some of their contacts, however would prefer to get another 2-3 firms to quote on managing the job end to end. I’d like to be involved however due to work commitments won’t be able to effectively source and manage trades.

AJ

5. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Are you saying that you are renting the property for 920pw?

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi AJ, putting in essentially a brand new kitchen with all the works you mentioned can easily cost upwards of 30k depending on the specs you put in. If it were me I'd probably just do a cosmetic job as opposed to a brand new kitchen for tenants. But that's mainly because I'd rather redeploy that kitchen money into a another project or IP. So really depends on your goals. I always try to assess the best use and return for my capital.

7. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Do to want someone to do the whole thing or can you do stripout? It will be much cheaper if you can project manage. We got quotes from$$22-30k. We did it for $10k installed.
    What's your strata like? New rules have made renos difficult.

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Is that including electrical,.plumbing, fixtures, sink,tiles , tiling, stone tops, decent grade appliances, flooring and laid ?

Also your right re Strata, will probably need to create a bylaw, legal fees. I always tell friends planning to reno a unit to start the strata process 8 weeks before planned reno.

9. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Another option if your keeping the layout is just keep the carcasses and get a joiner to measure and reface all doors with new handles, with maybe any new cabinetry you want added. Replace your stone, Plumber only has to do a disconnect and reconnect to your new sink (saves $$ not moving) Electrician only has to move a few things and reconnect your new appliances. You end up with the same result for a lot less $$.

Get a few quotes

10. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Member

Thank you all. I've asked the PM to contact strata to confirm and will investigate to see if i can keep the carcasses to save some $$$.

upload_2019-9-8_21-36-49.png upload_2019-9-8_21-37-35.png upload_2019-9-8_21-39-19.png

My thoughts are to leave the layout as is, however maximize bench space, open up the laundry to provide more bench space (currently is closed off with false walls), washing machine/dryer underneath bench and tiles for the floor.

If anyone had any input on the above i'd love to hear it.

AJ

11. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Not electrical or plumbing. Flooring didn't change. We tiled the splash back ourselves.

Kitchen quotes we got didn't include flooring and splash back. Good appliances, stone waterfall edge benches. Very good quality kitchen, quite big, with pantry and plenty of to cupboards. Not Bunnings crap.

That's a tiny kitchen. Not expensive. I tried adding photos of one we recently did in a flat but won't work.

Last edited: 10th Sep, 2019
    Sackie likes this.