Recommendation for Strata ByLaws DIY

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by yoman55555, 12th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. yoman55555

yoman55555 New Member

Hi All,
    First time post.

I live/own an apartment. In our balcony we simply want to install lattice. It costs $200 from professional carpentar. Obviously, half of it sticks out of balcony.

Now my strata manager wants to classify this as MAJOR renovation on two grounds:
    - Adding screws to the inside wall of my balcony
    - Modify the look

Now, they pushing for By-Laws draft to be prepared. It seems like an overkill but it seems you have cheap options

Question:
    - Firstly, anyone know if i can draft the by-law myself? The approval i am after is pretty trivial and specific.
    - Any suggestion? My renovations costs $200 but i don't want to pay $100-$2000 to strata lawyer

2. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

It sounds like the balcony wall belongs to the owner's corporation (strata) which is not out of the ordinary - meaning they have every right to knock back approval to affix anything to the balcony wall.

As for the look of the lattice, the owners corporation would be very careful about maintaining the overall look of the building. Some owner corporations prohibit putting things like air conditioner external units on building walls especially where they can be seen from the street or from any other property. The main thinking behind this is they don't want the building to look like a ghetto.

If every owner/resident put up lattice or any other structure willy nilly (in different colours shapes, colours and styles) then the building would not look aesthetically nice at all.

Therefore, in my opinion, the changes you are seeking are not so trivial.

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2020
    Ted Varrick likes this.
  3. yoman55555

yoman55555 New Member

Thanks @phoenix . I should have clarified, by trivial i mean trivial to write details of the work.
    Have you had any experience on this or recommend on how to find template?

4. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Sorry... no experience with drafting up proposed by-laws for owner corporations.

Maybe you should contact NSW Fair Trading and they may be able to steer you in the right direction.

5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

You are adding a fixture to common property.

Of course it is going to require a by-law, which you might probably have to get drafted by a lawyer, assuming you are not one yourself.

And, if it changes the look of the building, it will probably get knocked back.

Sounds difficult and expensive, so might be worthwhile investigating an alternative.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia