Recommend me a QS

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Danielt25, 31st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Danielt25

Danielt25 Well-Known Member

Hi, can anyone recommend a good QS to get a depreciation report - Brisbane.

There are several companies out there but one in particular charges a few hundred more but claims they find more deductions than the other cheaper companies.

Is it likely that is the case, or just a marketing thing to justify a higher price? (Sounds good in theory and I guess difficult to compare unless I ordered and paid for a report from both companies)

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depreciator and BMT are two of the majors who frequent this forum and are well regarded

You often get what you pay for. Desktop reports when a site inspect is really needed. I have seen a hell of a lot of reports and some are fairly ordinary at the low cost end. eg the schedule only lasts 10 years then its a mystery. The need for QS to have tax practitioner registration has cleaned up some of the problems but not all.

I also had a client who sought one from BMT who had already done the builder estimates for their loan. Their costs were lower and they passed on the savings for work already done and just needed the interior fitout pics.

3. Roosterman

Roosterman Well-Known Member

I have used Depreciator in Brisbane and would recommend them

4. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Used BMT twice and have been extremely happy with their service and support post reports issued!!

5. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

I use depreciator and all good from my side....of course we order for clients so they are reasonable - I like the support the smaller guys, they are not bmt but their reports make sense, reasonably priced and delivered on time - all the time - which works well.
    Cheers Ivan

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Recently, I got quotes from four organisations, three of which I have used previously. From memory, Depreciator and BMT quoted $770. I went with Deppro as they quoted $605.

Make sure you mention that you are a member of PC. After I had booked Deppro, BMT contacted me and said they would have matched the Deppro quote.

The 4th company I have never used before. When I submitted a request for a quote via their website, I received the following email:

"Thank you for your email

Unfortunately we are closing down from 17th March to 4th April 2016

We generally close down before the crazy tax season to provide our staff with a well-deserved mental and physical break

We will make contact with you in April; If you have not proceeded with another Quantity Surveying company we are only more than willing to help you
    "​

Looks like I will never use them :) :).

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Sounds like #4 is a one man band outfit + wife.

kierank likes this.
  8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Ive been using Depreciator since 2010 and been great. You used get a forum discount as well, just PM @Depreciator to confirm if thats still the case

9. Danielt25

Danielt25 Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll be sure to follow up