QLD Recommend me a good plumber please (Logan) - hot water system replacement

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by kacheek, 25th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kacheek

kacheek Well-Known Member

Hi, I need to get the hot water system replaced. Does anyone know a good plumber who will do it for a competitive price?

Also what should I consider when choosing a hot water system? Is it OK to go with the cheapest option or is it worth spending a bit more?

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I got a couple of quotes - one from a local plumbing company who could do it "next week"; the other from Australian Hot Water who were $300 cheaper and did it the same day even though it was 11am when I called them (it wasn't urgent).

Edit - we got a stainless steel tank, this is for an electric off peak 250L storage system.

Edit 2 - Both places offered me a few choices of brand.

Last edited: 25th Nov, 2021
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

125L system is good enough for a 3-Bed 1-Bath house, Rinnai unit will cost about $1,450 inc GST installed including the valves, pipes, disposal, etc etc. You'll want to add a couple hundred for a 250L system if it's a 4-Bed 2-Bath.

kacheek and willair like this.
  4. kacheek

Thanks guys, I am ringing around to get a quote.

Also, why do tradies ask "how much did the other tradie quote you for?". And what do you usually answer with?

The second plumber asked me this question, and because I know the first plumber quoted me way too much, I just said "more than I expected" so as not to give it away, and he got offended and told me he wasn't available.

5. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Ive replaced two 250L units with Vulcan for $1450 all inclusive. New valves, pipes, disposal of old unit, everything. There wont be that much difference with brand pricing whether you use Rinnai, DUX, Vulcan etc...I've had excellent experience with Vulcan.

DO NOT pay anymore than $1500 for a 250L tank doesnt matter the brand. Some plumbers are quoiting between $1700-$2000. Complete ripp off. You can just log onto Service Seeking, Airtasker or Highpages and get it done by fully qualified tradies for much much less from guys that have 500+ reviews and full warranties plus form 6 lodgement to council.

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2021
    kacheek likes this.
  6. thunderstrike888

Best approach is just be honest and say look I need a 250L Vulcan or Rinnai or whatever supplied and installed for XXX price. You want the job or not?

If they install for $1400-$1500 they are still making a killing for 2hrs work. Trade prices for hot water tanks are cheap!!

kacheek likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just tell them your the first person you have contacted, never tell them you have other quotes because they will just think your wasting their valuable time.

qak and kacheek like this.
  8. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

kacheek likes this.
  9. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

you need a tradie that wants the work.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  10. kacheek

I was quoted $2200/2350 for a 135Lt gas system (Vulcan) by two places.

When I asked why it was so much, the guy said "you're welcome to ring around and get other quotes. Cheaper places use parts that don't last, because they just want to do a job cheaply to get the business, and move on. That's not how we roll. We use quality parts that will last."

Is it really worth it to spend more on this kind of thing?

11. thunderstrike888

LOL - No. They will all say that. A tempering valve is a tempering valve. They all do the same thing. A thermostat is a thermostat.

Whether you use a $90 one or a $120 dollar one it still doesn't justify $2200 or $2350. They say this because they know nothing will go wrong for 10-15 years so by then its too late to call them and say "hey you know that tempering valve you installed back 7 years ago I paid $2300 because you said it would last but now its broken. Can you come fix it for free? LOL" They will laugh in your face.

2 min google search for a Gas tank that's Rheem and 170L is only $1545 installed. Bit more searching you'll get it under $1500. Did you try Hipages or Service Seeking?

Rheem 170 litre External Gas Hot Water Heater System

PM me I'll send you the plumber I use for all my properties.

PinkPanther and Michael Mitchell like this.
  12. thunderstrike888

Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.
  13. kacheek

LOL. When you put it like that... XD
    I already approved the first quote and now I'm going to have to retract it before they send the guys on site!

Will PM you :)

14. Tom Rivera

Any chance you've had that price in QLD? $1,450 all inclusive for a 250L is a bargain.

15. thunderstrike888

Both were in QLD. One in Logan and one Moreton Bay. Actually when I was looking pretty much most Plumbers were pretty honest guys and they all quoted similar. $1400-$1550. As you can also see from Same Day Hot Water they are also around that price point.

That is what I am saying. If someone is quoting you anywhere near $2k your getting taken for a ride.

PinkPanther and Tom Rivera like this.
  16. Tom Rivera

I got a quote from Same Day a while back, they said a 125L Aquamax unit was supplied and installed for $1,155.00, BUT when I queried them further- they wanted an extra $475.00 for the new valves, fittings, etc! You should always replace those when you're replacing an old system, so it's a bit cheeky they leave it out. That means they actually wanted $1,630.00 for a 125L system, or about $1,800 for 250L.

That said, I imagine your other Plumbers had included all the bits and pieces (valves, lagging, fittings, form 4, drain tray, etc) for the same price you mentioned, so that's still a good price.

17. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

I paid $1300 for an 150L Rinnai HWS (supply and installed) a couple of months ago. The hotwater system is around $700

thunderstrike888 likes this.
  18. Tom Rivera

Did they include the valves, tray, form 4, etc., that usually comes to about $450 of the total?

19. charlie01

Yes, all inclusive, valves, tray, forms, removal of old one.

thunderstrike888 likes this.
  20. charlie01

Avoid "Same Day" or similar companies that offer "supply and install", I got burnt not long ago, these businesses can be very dodgy with hidden costs, it was too late when I realised I was conned. You were lucky to find out earlier that they actually had hidden cost of $475.

Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.