Recession

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by giswal22, 4th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giswal22

giswal22 Well-Known Member

what does everyone think of this supposed recession building for next year? I did say supposed because I'm not too sure how to take it. How would one invest keeping that in mind? Would you wait with cash ready to buy after it crashes? I understand there are varying views on this topic, I'm just throwing it out there as I havnt read much here about it.

Tekoz likes this.
  2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Recessions come and recessions go. Mining booms come and mining booms go. House prices go up, go flat, go down, go up again. If you are holding property for the long term you will experience all of this (along with high, medium and low mortgage interest rates).

If you are trying to "time" your entry into the RE market based on a possible recession coming - good luck with that! Most people are very bad trying to time the market. If we get to having a recession, when do you buy? How do you know we are at the bottom? Will it fall some more?

Who picked rising IRs for investor loans due to APRA's recent intervention? If we were any good at it (timing) we would have locked in rates beforehand wouldn't we?

orangestreet, ej89, Redom and 5 others like this.
  3. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@giswal22 Yes, we are slowly going into recession, My feeling is that most people are still not fully aware at just how dire the situation really is.

China is just the tip of the iceberg, its very visible stock market collapse and economic slowdown have dominated the financial headlines. This has caused nervousness over China’s ability to continue doing the heavy lifting is causing these jitters.

This week’s news of our sluggish GDP growth, current account blowout, dollar falling briefly below 70 cents, China’s slowing manufacturing sector and continued share market upheaval bought forward the usual news coverage from the TV channels’ resident financial experts.

So the best way to invest is to look at the property clock here and nvest where it is not at the peak:

[​IMG]

Good luck man.

Lenny, MBO and Irosh Bandara like this.
  4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Hi @Tekoz I just bought one. When are you getting yours after extensive research. Pull the trigger mate. I agree @Propertunity.

ej89, wombat777 and Hanison like this.
  5. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Is there more than 1 Rockhampton? On that diagram it is both at the bottom and peak of the market.

MBO likes this.
  6. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

I agree, recessions come, recessions go. Some people ride it out, some cash up, some find opportunities. If you are invested long term I don't think you can lose. Mind you our super fund has still not fully recovered from the global financial crisis!

Financial commentators on TV and in newspapers will sound a warning, more so they can't be accused of missing the signs altogether, as happened when the GFC hit. Many red faces there.

7. WinDyz.

WinDyz. Well-Known Member

Hi Tekoz,
    no one in this world knows when and what is the top and what's the bottom.
    Everyone has their own opinion and prediction. If you're investing, aim for long term as propurtunities said and stick to your goal.

Last year everyone predicted that Sydney is at the peak, but..... At the same time lots of expert predict interest will start to increase end of this year.. but it's more likely to come down one or two more times.

ej89 and Tekoz like this.
  8. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I look forward to the onslaught of people saying "no but you see, it's different this time."

Yes it's different this time. It's always different this time. Except that it never is.

I'm ready to be educated about how it's different this time. Bring it on, bring it!

Last edited: 4th Sep, 2015
    Bayview, Sackie and Tekoz like this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Next year? Hmm:
    "Was it felicitous timing or a happy coincidence?
    A surprise 41.5 per cent jump in government spending on defence equipment helped Australia's economy grow by 0.2 per cent for the three months to June.
    If it wasn't for that spending, the economy wouldn't have grown at all."
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...nt-keeps-economy-growing-20150902-gjdgdw.html

10. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Yes, bring it please :cool:

Vacant likes this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Tekoz is a metal fan, this forum is always full of surprises ;)

Tekoz likes this.
  12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I think a China slump is important, necessary, timely and ultimately for our own good. They need to be transparent from here. We should be gearing up to export.

Tekoz likes this.
  13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am expecting a recession too. I have seen the slow down on the ground. I'm not expecting to see things pick up any time soon.

Tekoz likes this.
  14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The simple question to ask is?,how many in this site have been in a recession?,and what happened inbetween ,the last 24 years in Australia has only been one way..

Gingin and Tekoz like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

1. Don't over commit and invest according to your risk tolerance.
    2. Buy with exit strategies in mind.
    3. Make sure you have cash buffers.
    4. Would be good to have cash/equity ready to buy some great deals that will come.
    5. Doesn't matter if the world falls apart, invest according to your financial situation and buffers in place so you can ride out the waves.
    6. Buy in places that you project to be in good-high demand.
    7. Buy at great prices or don't buy at all.
    8. If there is add value potential even better.
    9. Enjoy the ride, there will always be ups and downs. This is the nature of the beast imo.
    10. The larger your portfolio, consider locking in quite a few at low interest rates.

nth brisbanite, Tekoz, Esh and 2 others like this.
  16. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

First I've heard thew "R" word mentioned on here or SS for a very long while...

Look out?

17. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I look forward to it.
    Bring some doom.

NHG, LibGS, charttv and 2 others like this.
  18. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yes, must admit; I'm feeling very selfish these days; given my lot the last 5 years; I want the stockmarket to crash in a major, major way - and the property market to crash even bigger.

A-shopping I will go, a-shopping I will go, hey ho the dairy-o a shopping I will go.

"I'm dreaming of a 1929 Christmas....":p

Last edited: 4th Sep, 2015
    Perthguy likes this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Lol...your wanting to snap up my properties do ya.....:mad::mad:

Bayview likes this.
  20. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

At 1929 prices we'll be buying out entire streets or suburbs.

Sackie likes this.