Rebuilding an existing wall not on DA approval

Discussion in 'Development' started by lakersfan23, 10th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lakersfan23

lakersfan23 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have successfully lodged a DA for an additions and alterations of a very old house (80 years).

Background
    I purchased the house in late 2020 and thought it would be a quick fixer upper although after getting possession of the property noted a few walls (the ones with the red arrows) weren't structurally sound.
    1. Since a quick renovation wasn't an option I decided to do a knockdown rebuild although as the property is in a flood zone the council requirement was to have the ground level as uninhabitable and required me to construct a 3 storey house which according to my calculations would overcapitalise the project and hence would be unviable.
    2. I didn't want to part with the property so decided to file for an addition and alterations instead. As this would allow me to hold on to the property whilst still being able to construct a new dwelling.
    • The council requirements for an addition and alterations was to have a certain ratio of the existing house to be kept. I lodged a DA showing the existing front portion of the house will be kept knowing that the walls (the ones with the red arrows) weren't sound. I have now gotten the CC and am about to sign the builder.
    My questions to the PC community are below:

Problem
    1. How can I get my builder to fix the walls in question (the ones with the red arrows) which aren't part of the approved DA? My builder has given me a contract with a quote for the approved DA plans without cost estimates to fix the walls in question (the ones with the red arrows).
    2. Do I need to file for a modification of the DA to do remediation works ? I am 100 % certain the walls in question (the ones with the red arrows) won't hold once demo starts.I don't want to be hit with a massive variation cost if the above point holds true
    Thanks for taking the time to read my post and providing your valuable input. I have listed what I plan to do below.

Solution
    • I will request my structural engineer to provide me with a remediation plan showing the work to be done if the walls in question (the ones with the red arrows) are demolished.
    • I will ask my builder to include this piece of work in the contract price.
    Thank you all !

Attached Files: