Reasonable to expect a conveyancing solicitor to carry out these checks?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Sue_83, 17th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sue_83

Sue_83 Member

Hi everybody,

If you are prepared to pay top dollar for the services of a conveyancing solicitor, would it be reasonable to expect them to fully carry out the following checks?
    • Any limitations on what can be added to the property in the future? (zoning)
    • All bedrooms considered livable/habitable by the local council?
    • Any easements on the property?
    • Any and all buildings/modifications have been approved by the local council?
    Thank you in anticipation.
    Sue

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If you know what you want, why not just ask the solicitor to specifically do these things?

qak likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Solicitors are there more in case things go bad.
    eg:
    • Vendor can't settle (move out)
    • Tenants won't vacate
    • OTP val comes in low and you can't settle
    • Property damage before settlement after you sign
    • OTP or new home is damaged or is not finished correctly
    • Vendor made false disclosures
    etc etc etc

The Y-man

Sue_83 likes this.
  4. Sue_83

Sue_83 Member

Thanks Y-man.
    Am I right in assuming that the four points I mentioned earlier falls under the buyer's advocate umbrella?

5. The Y-man

No - not for a BA.

Would be under standard conveyancing to an extent (even with lawyers). For example, even a lawyer would not know if a vendor made a false claim on council approval etc - just that there is a declaration there, so that if it does turn out to be false, you can start taking action etc.

Zoning and allowed developments - only the council can ultimately decide on that.

Habitability - again, a lawyer/conveyancer doesn't do an on-site inspection. That would be (I think) more in the realms of the building inspector that you arrange for B&P. They would likely be able to comment if a a building add-on looks like its a dodgey job that is unapproved.

Easements - conveyancer/lawyer should advise you of these - but make sure you ask before signing your life away (or look at the maps etc yourself).

The Y-man

Sue_83 likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When we have bought, we've been asked to tick off which searches we wish to have done, and pay for.

I'd say it is up to you as buyer to do your due diligence.

significance likes this.
  7. Sue_83

Sue_83 Member

Thanks Y-man and Wylie.

This is the first time I am buying a house; and am trying to plan ahead, as I know almost nothing about how to do the "due diligence".

What search options were available?

8. The Y-man

In which state are you buying? Process and info sources vary a lot between states.

The Y-man

9. Sue_83

Sue_83 Member

I am on the Gold Coast, QLD.
    :)

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd suggest calling the lawyer you plan on using and asking for the options. It runs for a number of pages (from memory) and for our purchases, some options clearly were not required (eg. swimming pool fences when there is no pool), others I asked the lawyer whether we needed those searches.

significance likes this.
  11. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Yes and no. As an example, a BA should advise you on what can and can't be done in certain zoning generally, but we're not town planners and every LEP is different. We can and will speak to council and town planners, builders and architects to get a general idea but it's very difficult to get a concrete answer without submitting a DA, period.

Often buyers don't want to go to the Nth degree to pay for the required DD or pay for a building certicate, a survey or any other number of items that can confirm things such as previous renovations or boundaries limits e.g. limited title. We always recommend doing it, but they can cost thousands of dollars in some cases so people would prefer not. The other issue is that in this market if you submit conditional offers such as DD then a buyer is less likely to take it which is unfortunately the state of the market. We definitely check current and previous DAs and you can usually get a pretty good idea from those as to what is and isn't permitted. Floor Space Ratios (FSR) are a good one to check too.

Easements on title should be covered off by your solicitor but yes, a good BA will also have read through the contract and title documents and confer with your solicitor over these issues anyway.

- Andrew

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia