Rear strata, duplex or triplex

Discussion in 'Development' started by Martinez22, 29th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity.. If you had a triplex size block around 700 sqm, would you go for a triplex development or for a rear strata development (house behind house)??

Is a rear strata better than a duplex? Same block sizes but wouldn't you make more money with a house as opposed to a villa/unit?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

This sort of decision is worked out at feasibility stage - what do your numbers say?

Not sure what you mean by duplex - do you mean a side by side development?

3. Martinez22

Similar structure to triplex except two instead if three? I think..

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Well that's also potentially a rear strata...?

5. Martinez22

Yeh confusing hana whats the difference between a rear strata and a duplex then? Which one will work better with the one cross over/drive way rule?

6. John Bone

John Bone Well-Known Member

Thatbum is correct, this is a numbers game but the biggest number in the deal is the end sale price. If it isn't then you are going to make a loss and you don't need a calculator to work that out.
    The whole essence of real estate development is to produce the right property in the right place, at the right time and for the right price. You need to know what the market wants and supply it to get the best outcome. The numbers may tell you to do a triplex but that is of little value if you can't sell them. Talk to local real estate agents and find out what they want to take to the market and start from there.

Martinez22, Aconis and wylie like this.
  7. Martinez22

Thanks, yeh of course I'll be doing my numbers and researching thoroughly before I make any moves, too risky not to? At the momemt I'm educating myself with the development world.

Just want to know what the difference between a duplex and rear strata is and which one works well with the one crossover/drive way rule.

Last edited: 29th Jul, 2016
  8. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

You have duplex as in 2 attached buildings. Or duplux block as in can put 2 like a triplex you can put 3.

Rear strata is the type of subdivision like survey strata. Council will advise you on cross overs. Maybe with green title subdivision they will allow 2 crossovers, but will cost you more.

Martinez22 likes this.