Food & Dining Real Food

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Xenia, 19th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

There are a lot of threads right now about food and diets which are very interesting.
    I think one of the problems facing society today is people are not educated on nutrition and do not know the difference between real and fake food - advertised as health food a lot of the time.

Humans have lived for millions of years on basic diets, meat, vegetables, grains, fruits and humans love to debate of one over the other, the debates are usually on a component of that food item confused with the whole. Ie carbohydrates are bad and therefore anything containing carbohydrates are bad.
    The reality is that carbs are not bad - carbs in refined form are bad as are proteins and fats in refined form - In most cases it is the refining process not the food.

People don't recognise this and get confused with all sorts of advertising slogans for health food. Ie some exotic fruit may be identified for it's health benefits, a study done on the native people that have it as part of their lifestyle - good reports.

So - companies walk in, take this fruit, turn it into drinks, pills, potions and lotions and sell it as having the exact same benefits as it did in the study showing it's benefits in raw form.

This happens with the Eskimo study and omega 3 ***** acids from fish - now widely sold in pill form, put into eggs, bread etc and sold to people who do not live the Eskimo life or have the Eskimo diet.

I'm not a huge fan of nutrition out of bottles and cringe at the marketing of refined food - there are no nutrients left in the soil so humans now have to buy vitamins in bottles etc...

Am I the only person that gets annoyed at seeing good healthy food refined into drinks and pills and sold as health food or supplements?

Is it a cop out for a healthy lifestyle eating "real food"?

BigKahuna, freyja, HomePage and 4 others like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Well - I did just eat a small, lunch box packet of "French fries" ... must've needed the salt ... asides from that, I totally agree. Nearly crashed my car a few months ago (only joking) when I realised a chocolate waffle cone from Maccas contained, basically, my entire calorie intake for the whole day ... was pretty yummy tho. Once a year will suffice.

I have even read that a lot of the "gluten intolerance" is not actually an allergy to gluten, but rather the fast tracked process they use nowadays to get bread to "rise".

Other studies have comprehensively shown that obesity is often caused (if not medical) by our nutrition low foods - so the body stays hungry as it craves the basic nutrients it needs to survive.

Even a, so called, healthy diet can be nutrient poor due to the forced growing process of many of our fruit, veges and meat. A tomato grown hydroponically has around 10% of the nutrition of your backyard variety ... similar with lettuce, cucumbers etc. Even soil grown produce, such as cereals, carrots, potatoes etc are very nutrient poor compared to 50 years ago due to the addition of artificial fertilizers that force water consumption by the plant, and hence accelerated growth.

Meat feed mainly on grains (such as they do in the USA in massive feedlots) are also poor in vital basics ... we are fortunately that most of our meats are grown in paddocks.

Bit of a bug bear of mine ... but also explains a lot.

freyja, MTR, EN710 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Many people can't even drink water out of a tap anymore. We have to pay more for bottled water than a litre of petrol costs. Forget the carbon footprint the freight miles add to our atmosphere. It's been marketed well and sold at a premium for convenience. Even on the rare occasions I have a need for (cold) water on the go because I've run out of forgotten a drink bottle from home, I still won't pay 7-11 prices. I go to the nearest super market or often most chemists sell cold bottled water for one dollar.

MTR and Xenia like this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I've heard garlic in an awesome whole food ;)

Lizzie and MTR like this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Pretty tasty to eat raw too, but most people won't want to be near you after :p

There's the side of balanced natural diet, but at the same time I also consider that we are no longer doing things that our ancestor used to do or having access to what they used to have, hence in some cases supplements might be needed. I'd say the civilisation grow faster than what our body can ever adapt to, sometimes a bit of help is required.

Xenia likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have a 'pet hate' for all the fat free products which are just rammed full of sugar to add the taste back. Most of the fat free salad dressings etc have oodles of sugar to make them tasty. Give me some good old olive oil and vinegar any day.
    Then there are the stupid fat free labels - fat free orange juice. WTF!
    I have a soft spot for french fries - I won't deny that fact but I agree that unprocessed food is the way to go.
    Personally I've worked out that my body works best on unprocessed foods, all the colours of the rainbow of veg and fruit, protein, good fats, dairy and very little carbs . Yeast and wheat are my nemesis but sometimes I will indulge and pay for it with a rash that sends me around the bend itchy (I'll scratch in my sleep until I bleed) Dermatitis herpetiformis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BigKahuna, EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

The only supplement I will take is vitamin B, which I take on my doctor's reccomendation due to low "B" levels. The rest of vitamins and minerals I get from eating food.

You are not the only person annoyed by this. I can't watch those ads on tv where they take a nice salad or a healthy dessert (such as fresh fruit and yoghurt) and put it in a blender. Complete waste of good food to me. Give me the salad and fresh fruit and yoghurt for dessert any day thanks! :)

I really think it is a cop out for a healthy lifestyle eating "real food". I think marketing and the commoditisation of food has distorted "our" reality to the point where most people wouldn't even know what a healthy diet looks like anymore. A healthy, balanced diet is seen as "extreme" these days. It's extraordinary the amount of flak that "Paleo Pete" has copped from nutritionists because he is pushing whole foods. I stumbled onto his show on tv one day and he made two vegetarian dishes in a row! They looked good to me. I eat food like that, so I must be "extreme" too. lol

Xenia likes this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's a bit silly, but people will buy anything these days.

I also dislike people trying to re-brand sensible eating with some catchy diet term and trying to make money off it - the people that pay for it are probably even more annoying.

freyja, MTR and Xenia like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

live on garlic

BigKahuna and Xenia like this.
  10. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

Agree with everything so far- I hate bottled water (environmental reasons), processed foods and ridiculous health shakes made from powders- just make your own from fruit, veges and nuts.

People are eating more calories than ever but actually starving their bodies due to lack of nutrition. It's crazy.

I eat mostly raw foods with a little grass fed meat. I do succumb to chocolate and alcohol though

BigKahuna and Xenia like this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perfect diet ;)

freyja and Xenia like this.
  12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

yes it does, but I succumb to chocolate and coffee - having an awesome vienna right now ..mmmm loaded with cream.

freyja, BigKahuna and MTR like this.
  13. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

I agree @Xenia but it's part of capitalism and people trying to make a buck. It's like a secondary industry (the primary is the growing of the fruit, veg, meat) that's simply repackaging and marketing.

Xenia likes this.
  14. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

The problem with this is that it makes so much sense.

BigKahuna likes this.