Real Estate Agents - AARRGGHHHH

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by JandJ, 31st Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi @JandJ it does sound like you need a body on the ground to conduct the search for you- are your family willing to do this for you? If so, why not email them a list of properties you want them to follow up on and do all the legwork for you? That way the agents have a local number, can put a face to a buyer (well a relative anyway :)) and you can then follow up as appropriate.

If you don't want to go down this path then I'd highly recommend using a BA (disclaimer: I am a BA so obviously am not providing this advice completely objectively!) as they're going to be the ones representing you and your best interests, not the sellers agent who is paid by the vendor.

Also, I have no idea where you're looking but if it's in a rising market like many suburbs of Sydney (for example) you're probably going to be last on their list of contacts to return to, as overseas unqualified buyers with international contact details aren't usually viewed as "hot" prospects. If serious you need to speak to them at the very least to begin building relationships etc. Best of luck with it all :)

Hosko and BuyersAgent like this.
  2. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

As @Jacque said many expats and those living OS engage some kind of local support. Us BA's get quite a few of them on our books as the benefits of being on the ground sourcing a better deal quickly overtakes the fees charged. I still stop in to check on a few development sites (sites purchased for an Aussie expat working in China) fairly regularly to let him know the progress.

Sales agent quality is highly variable across the board, even if you are here and local you may not get the service you expect. If you happen to get a dud and you are not in their face you won't get a call back. Shame but the way it is. You either move on to the few agents you like and who call you back or you enlist support of some kind.

3. ToeKnee

ToeKnee Active Member

Here’s my opinion from an agents perspective.

9 out of 10 enquires that comes through via email with email contact only will not respond when you reply to their email. Often the enquiry will also have only ticked the generic question boxes and provide little or no information as to what they want answered. It’s very frustrating and mostly a waste of time. I will always answer the questions (as best as possible) and request a suitable time to have a conversation with the person to see if I can actually help them.

I have also (when buying) found so many agents won’t even return a missed call. Like someone else said, these are the people you want to be buying from I guess.

Lindsay_W likes this.