Real Estate Agent tactics

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by 7434, 6th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd say stay, and ignore the keyboard warriors.

Don't give up on the forum because of a few people who you don't know at all. There are plenty of disagreements here but you'll learn so much by staying.

samiam likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration with the whole ' agents bs' and 'buying a place' world. It can be tough, cutthroat, liars and BS all around . Also some good straight forward agents but mostly the game is tough.I get it. The problem is that's the game. It won't ever change. I often hear people talking about consumer laws this and legislation that etcetc. Its all a hoax that will lead you down a path of nothingness. People wont be able to get what they want by trying to play it totally straight or rely on legislation etc .

Your doing the right thing by coming on here and trying to learn some skills/tactics to better your chances at this game. If your interested here are some good books to read:

A property investor's guide to negotiating, by John Potter

Secrets of Power Negotiating - inside secrets from master negotiator, by Roger Dawson

Negotiating Secrets, by David Brown

The negotiation book, By Stave Gates

Last edited: 16th Jun, 2017
    BKRinvesting likes this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am writing a book on it. If you wanna buy a copy when it's finished, I will PM you my bank account details :).

4. kierank

I have read this thread with interest and studied it in detail. There is a lot of really good information, great tips, ... in this thread (but what would this old fart know) but you can't see it.

I would suggest you take off your anti-REA glasses and re-read it. You keep saying REAs are liars, dishonest, dodgy, sneaky, law-breakers, criminals, the scum of the earth ... - IMHO, with that sort of attitude, you deserve what you are getting.

If REAs are all of these things, so are buyers. If you believe that, well, I am a buyer (have been many times) and that does not describe me.

Also, you are expecting people to hand you nicely polish diamonds but they can't because none of know you.

BUT, people are handing you diamonds in the rough - it is up to you to work how to polish them to suit your particular needs.

I am guessing you will take no notice of the above and I expect you will come back and slag me.

Don't waste your time. Pi$$ off to Trollville - you will be most welcome there.

That may be your number one rule - it is NOT mine.

Big Will likes this.
  5. kierank

If you feel like you are "swimming against the stream" then may be you are :).

If you are not careful, you will get exhausted and be wash out to sea. Then none of us can find you or help you :).

It is your call.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

These bits of wisdom above... well said.

kierank likes this.
  7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

This is not Hungry Jacks. You cant have it 'your way'.

8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

On my last purchase I lied, was a bit dishonest, dodgy and sneaky, didn't break any laws thought that I know of.

For my last purchase I was in the 'low 500s' to one agent, was high 500s to another agent but yet my purchase was in the low 700s. So clearly I lied however I was looking at a property with the low 500s as a 550k contract price went to contract had building issues and the house ended up selling to another buyer for 500k.

Same similar situation with the high 500s it was a property that sold for 650k according to REA by RE.com says 620k? (I was prepared to go to 630k) lost this one but found something else.

I even lied by saying that I like the place (not the lie) but my wife was the problem (the lie), yup my wife must be hated by a number of agents as she never speaks to them (she does exist) however she is always trying (apparently) to get the best deal. In reality she is saying just purchase it and I am the one trying to get a better deal but as I am the one talking with the REA I want/need to be the 'friendly/nice guy' and not the a-hole who is trying to screw them.

So everyone is playing a game, dancing, warring whatever you want to call it. However each and every time I was friendly with the REA and made out my wife wanted another property and I am trying to get the deal done for the vendor, rea and us.

Brining up consumer affairs etc is probably one of the worst ways to try and get a deal done.

Sackie and kierank like this.
  9. kierank

Admitting all of that on PC will get you permanently banned on this forum!!!!

Where is the 'report' button :)

Big Will and Sackie like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Please don't try to out do me . This narcissist has sole rights in that department :p

kierank and Big Will like this.
  11. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

maybe I lied about the lie?

kierank likes this.
  12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I've never realised purchasing property was so difficult? I've purchased several properties in melbourne via private sale and auctions and as long as you're the highest bidder you generally secure the property. Sometimes you need to pay a little extra if you really want it but whats another $10k - $15k if you can afford it and means contracts are signed and exchanged?

The ones I've missed out on basically sold for a lot more for what I was willing to spend.

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think purchasing property is fairly simple to be honest.. especially if you are the highest paying person as you've said.

Where it gets more cutthroat and warlike is when you try to nab a property for a great price using different strategies/approaches. Also rising markets tend to be very competitive.