Entertainment & Music Read any good books lately..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 4th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just finished a very good book on a autobiography by,Barry Humphries..
    One of the best reads of a Australian Person i have read in a long time for what this gentleman went through in his life would burn most early in life,it's one of those books from a second hand shop that i could not stop reading till the early hours in the morning..

Terry_w likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I just finished read a book called "The Panama Papers".

It shows clear evidence how the rich elites choose whether to pay tax or not and how some rip off and exploit the poor.

willair likes this.
  3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

willair and Sackie like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

willair likes this.
  5. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Not recently, but...

Losing my Virginity - Richard Branson's autobiography.
    Take it like a man - Boy George's autobiography.

Both good, but if you can only do one then I would recommend losing your virginity over taking it like a man. Due to Virgin records there's a bit of a cross over between them.

willair likes this.
  6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

willair likes this.
  7. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I'm about to start Planet Jackson by Brad Norington. Love a bit of political gossip :D

willair likes this.
  8. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Wow, non-fiction recommendations for once!!! Awesome.

I've just added several books to my "must buy" list.

Myself, I haven't read anything for a-g-e-s but I am (still) part way through "Extreme Money: The Masters of the Universe and the Cult of Risk" by Satyajit Das.

Ted Varrick and willair like this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Bought another good book from Bent-Books at west end about the"Mailman of the Birdsville Track",just starting reading the book,anyone that can lift a 44 gallon drum of petrol onto the back of a high truck by himself is a standout..
    Bent Books

10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I bought this - it's an amazing read. Thankyou - Chapter One

I recommend you buy it - you can pay what you want, and Daniel Flynn's story is very inspiring.

Peter P and willair like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I started reading a novella put out by Sensis - a bit of a who's who, romantic spy novel. I fell asleep part way through the credits which lists every character in alphabetical order including their address and phone number.

Maybe the Pink Pages will be a little racier.

Ed Barton likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yep this one. Good read.

shoe.jpg

13. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Terry_w likes this.
  14. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Currently reading the Barefoot Investor. I have enjoyed reading his weekly article in the Herald Sun therefor I couldn't wait to read his book. He is a very witty man with great understanding of money smarts and the Aussie property market.

Well worth a read :)

Terry_w likes this.
  15. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Barefoot Investor

Read it in a day at Christmas - agree it is a good read, and I was happy that I already do most of the things recommended (probably need to employ the date night)

Actually liked the book so much, in that the ideas are both sensible and easily employable, that I purchased two copies and have them to colleagues at work that I know could use the help

One thing though, I disagree with the chapter on the Bradman strategy.

A Road to Ruin

James Rickards follows up on his previous books, such as A New Case for Gold, this time describing how the next financial crisis is going to happen. He believes it will commence with a liquidity crisis and be hockey stick curve more significant than previous challenges such as the GFC.

He describes how free trade is not that free, and how it has impoverished many previously middle class of western nations (USA in reality) Those that previously worked iN manufacturing with jobs for life,,are now in lower paid, and often casual service industry roles. It is extremely well written albeit albeit jaw dropping scary.

Wishful Drinking

Had been meaning to read Carrie Fisher memoir, and on her passing I read over just two days. It is a funny, sad, funny look at fame, substance abuse and mental illness. If you were in any way a fan I recommend it.

One Up On Wall Street

Currently about 2/3 of the way through this classic Peter Lynch investment book. I read it a few heats ago, and I am sure I will read it again. Actually think I started reading it again after the messages in Rickards book.

It largely based on investing in shares, as you may have guessed from the title, however the messages on remaining calm and sticking to the plan are important in most investing.

Terry_w likes this.
  16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I've been going through all the different books of Jack Ma, Sir Richard Branson, Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, John McGrath and etc. My partner reckons I suffer from self esteem issues with my obsession with famous people but I told her that comparing Elon Musk to Kim Kardasian is not the same thing.

17. Shaneo78

Shaneo78 Well-Known Member

Just finished reading (Well listening to...) Thankyou - Chapter One.

I've read nearly 90 books in the last 12 months - My top 5 would be:
    • Elon Musk
    • Steve Jobs
    • An astronauts guide to life on earth
    • The power of habit
    • Thank you - Chapter one
    Just started reading the barefoot investor now.

18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

90 books, far out!

I am trying to ramp up my reading books by listening to audio books and I am keeping a record on goodreads.com which is great. So far this year I am up to 6 books.

19. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I'm reading the 'Genius Guide to Word Press' :rolleyes: I gave up my family history website and forum a couple of years ago but have grown tired of Facebook, so I am going to start a blog.
    I have always liked learning about html etc and enjoy learning new ideas from tech books and magazines with the occasional murder mystery book thrown in :D

20. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

After several years of not reading, used to be a huge horror fiction fan, then non-fiction travel & biography stuff, just got back into it late last year (and have essentially un-plugged the TV since).

So far the Elon Musk biography has been a stand out read for me, absolutely fascinating! Read it in one sitting, could not put it down.

Really enjoyed Natural Born Heroes by Christopher McDougall, (then followed it up with his first book, Born to Run).

I enjoy books about cycle touring, round the world travels, anything to do with adventure and human endurance, (or miss-adventure!).

Also read “In Search Of Schrodinger’s Cat” by John Gribbin over Christmas break, a somewhat condensed guide to Quantum Physics. It’s supposedly quite accessible but I found it fairly hard going. Worth persevering with if you are interested in that sort of thing, from 2/3 way through it gets very interesting indeed. Blew my mind to be honest.

Currently reading The Ghost Runner by Bill Jones, another fascinating read about the amateur athletics system in the UK in the 40’s/50’s and one man’s passion for running and injustice.

The “to read” shelf moving forward includes Brian Cranston and Ellen McArthur’s auto biography’s along with a bunch more cycle travel adventure books and a couple of physics books.

Terry_w likes this.