Reactive Soil and Movement

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Brisbane_Property, 19th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brisbane_Property

Brisbane_Property New Member

***Apologies if this is in the wrong section - admin feel free to move.

Hello,
    I am considering purchasing a property in Ipswich which was built 10 years ago.
    I am aware that there is reactive soil in the area and I can see that the brick mail box is sitting at an angle, the water tank is now at an angle because the slab has moved, and there is a large crack on a non-structural wall around the patio which holds up the awning. There are standard hair line cracks inside of the property but no signs of major movement.

Question - if there was going to be structural movement to the actual property would it have happened already (being 10 years old)?
    Would you steer clear of the deal knowing that there is movement around the plot and consider it only a matter of time before there is structural movement?
    Appreciate any feedback.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Stresses may build up in the slabs over time if there's differential settlement, having an engineer or a qualified building consultant undertake a building inspection may be warranted.

Brisbane_Property likes this.