re: Tenants with pet/s

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by RJS, 10th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. OTmg

OTmg Well-Known Member

Did you ask for more bond or increase the rent? We're in the same predicament. Although we are encouraged by all to allow for pets.

I suppose if they've had the cat for a while and their previous rental history is fine then nothing to worry about hey?

We've kept animals for over 15 years in the same rental, no issue with urine stains or urine on the carpet. We have 2 cats and they sharpen their claws on anything, office chairs, furniture, carpet, trees, blankets on the bed, sides of the bed. They also climb up the flyscreen doors if they've been outside for a few hours and no one is home...Awful. The flyscreens have been changed but the carpet remains a little scratched. But hey they're just my cats.

The dog also scratches the glass sliding door to get in or out as well as our wooden doors for the same reason. We can see fine scratches on most of our doors. He also scratches the flyscreen if he's been locked out. He's had flees but we just give him the standard treatment from the vet and their gone-same goes with the cats. Rarely happens.

We have a big family. 5 adults have lived there for over 10 years. People are just coming in and out non-stop throughout the day-7 days a week. Including girlfriends, husbands, boyfriends and mates as you can imagine.

Just my experience though. The house needs a lot of TLC.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

These things will happen with all pets, so it is up to the LL to decide if this is acceptable or not, a lot of LL say no pets on ads I see.

3. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

I own two dogs that used to scratch the bottom of the back door in our PPOR to let you know they wanted to come in for company.
    I repainted the door, then screwed a clear perspex sheet onto the lower area of the door.
    Barely noticeable, protects the paintwork & you only have to wipe it down with a sponge occasionally to get off their dirty paw prints.

4. dabbler

Yeah, little blighters (or big ones) tend to all do this.

We have a 4 kilo dog that jumps chest height and kicks the glass, it just looks dirty all the time, so no big deal, but we had a family members little 2kg chihuahua over for 30 mins, and she dug at the bottom of the aluminum door and glass and had ripped out the draught strip and part of the seal in no time flat.

5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Ted Varrick likes this.
  7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Hi OTmg,

We really thought over this, and finally decided to go ahead with the lease based on history and reference checks.
    Logic: They have had a cat for years and they have been in the previous place for 14 years, so going by gut feeling, they know how to handle a pet in a rental dwelling.

Hope there would not be any major issues but will deal on case per case basis and take appropriate actions.

Cheers

8. dabbler

I was looking for some other things one day and came across people who had horses that sleep & free to come into house, also ponies....there goes the polished floors :)

They were claiming the horse was house trained, not sure if Alpachas can be house trained, maybe the resident mixed up sqm with acres ? lol

About 6 months ago I was looking at a place, was about 5 year old, anyway just outside the laundry was this strong stench, looked in this small closed off area and in there was a couple of ponies :eek::rolleyes: At least they were owners.

9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

crazy!

10. dawn

dawn New Member

Yes, pets can do some damage...you can't tell what will happen day in day or. A cat may develop incontinence or a dog vomit on the carpet. I find it sad that so many landlords seem to reject pets. And, even sadder - that some landlords seem to have no experience with having their own pets.