re: Tenants with pet/s

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by RJS, 10th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Absolutely. That's why I said it can, but not necessarily does. ;) I've got cats in a few of my properties with no issues but in one place the carpet was ruined in quite a few places.

2. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Just ask that the lease have a clause in it - the property will have the carpets cleaned professionally and the property will be sprayed inside and out for ticks and flees (again by a professional) at the tenants expense when the tenant vacates the property.

Chris Au and highlighter like this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the input.
    Really valuable advises.

You all have put me at ease.

The reference checks work out well.
    couple in 50s with 15 year daughter and one cat. previous rental history at one place for 14years.

Looks good.

Gave the PM a go ahead. :)

JacM, WattleIdo, Melissa and 2 others like this.
  4. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure only spraying tom cats smell - not an issue if they're desexed, so it's reasonable to ask that cats be desexed in my opinion. Desexed cats have a tattoo in their ear, and presumably also a certificate of some sort.

RJS likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The vet provides a certificate with all pets they desex, both cats and dogs.

My only concern with pets is carpet, so as long as the carpets are not brand new, I wouldn't have any problem with pets.

**I'm currently advertising for a new tenant if anyone here wants to live at the beach, nbn included.

VeronicaR and Gockie like this.
  6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

carpets are not brand new. So thats ok

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

No carpet for me.
    Tiles in living areas
    Floating floorboards everywhere.
    (Unless its an older house where i can polish floor boards, then its that throughout the entire house).

EN710 likes this.
  8. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I have always found this such an odd thing.
    People would happily let to a family with kids or younger party types but have an issue with pets?

The latter would in most cases do FAR less damages to your home, use less of the homes resources yet they are frowned upon?

I am renting at the moment with 2 dogs one being a massive golden retriever plus a cat, no issues. The other day we had people over and in 4 hours their kids had blocked the drain throwing stones on it and drawn on walls.....yet no one questions renting to someone with kids. If I was a landlord I would have kids on my application page before asking about pets.

Dogs can also protect the property along with give tenants an excuse to keep the yards clean and tidy.

Something else to consider is this person told you about the cat so means they are a truthful and probably reliable people. A massive amount of landlords don't realize they have animals living in their properties anyway. It's not real hard to hide an animal on your routine inspection.

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Some see it as ok, others as a definite no.

Cats inside are probably the worst if they are not trained properly or just decide to urinate everywhere, any urine that is built up and left from probably anything is a problem.

If they are responsible, it is a non issue usually, carpets are most at risk.

10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Same here - carpet removed from all IPs when I had the chance. Carpet is cheap but they also get dirty and yucky relatively quick.
    The only exception is the current PPOR, in which have limitation on number of pets per unit.

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I've found polished floors cheaper....
    Rip up the carpet yourself. Call someone else to polish and seal.
    The person i use charges about $25 per sqm.

EN710 likes this.
  12. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Both my IPs have pets.
    When I was renting, every place I looked said no pets, so unfortunately I went without a pet until I bought PPOR. Now I have a kid.. a lot more destructive.

13. MissSwiss

MissSwiss Active Member

I am a tenant with a pet (dog). She stays outside, even thought the landlords don't care what she does. We are responsible pet owners and in the time we have been at our rental the fact that we have had a dog has made no difference to the condition of the property.

I don't think the issue is whether or not someone has a pet - I think the issue is whether or not they are a a quality tenant. A quality tenant with a pet might do a much better job of maintaining the property (and controlling their pet) than a bad tenant with no pets.

Jane38 and wylie like this.
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I had a tenant who had no pets, but wanted a pet.
    Silly me said it was ok.

Tenant didn't look after their pet dog and let it run around and damage the house. He was the first person to live in the newly built house... it looked it was 10 years old by the time he was done with his 18 month lease.

Anyway, lesson learned, pets are only allowed for those who already own a pet, not "thinking" of getting one. Some a responsible, some are not, not prepared to be a guinea pig / training ground for wannabe pet owners.

EN710 likes this.
  15. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Cats can do terrible damage. I think I have posted on this before. I have reluctantly allowed a dog for a long term tenant. The best I could negotiate was an extra $10 a week, admittedly in a flat rental market. But the feral kids had already pretty much wrecked the place already.

16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes.
    Glad they're challenging this. I hope they are successful. I suspect they will be.

In general, animal lovers are superior beings. Why would you turn them away? Would you want the kind of person who would give up their animal or put them down just to rent a property?

Jane38, wylie and EN710 like this.
  17. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input everyone :) *thumbsup*

18. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

It depends on the people. I know a family who have a cat and they keep their house spotless. I also know another family who have 1-2 cats and the house stinks of animal, the cats have scratched marks into carpet (and all their furniture) and the front fly screen door has been torn to shreds (they moved into this rental as soon as it was built so it was literally brand new when they entered.)
    I don't like pets inside, however I have a dog who comes inside at night, but we only let him in our living area that's tiled, he really stinks sometimes, so he is not allowed on our carpet or furniture as I fear it will get smelly (I won't notice but visitors might). Having said all that, Im with everyone else, I would allow it in a rental if it was going to get me $5-10 a week more. But I would not allow it if my rental had carpet (ours has floor board throughout (Im not concerned if the boards get scratched as I expect to have to re polish every 5 or so years anyway to keep them nice)- I have frequently seen homes that have pet cats and dogs, and carpets are ruined from animal urine stains.

OTmg likes this.
  19. EconomicAcrobat

EconomicAcrobat Member

I would not trust them.... Sounds like they will have wild orgies and conduct satanic rituals. ;)

20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

This is known as the cats clause.

I'd also spray for fleas ;-)

sharon likes this.