Re stumping cost for small weatherboard?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Bridget Heathcote, 23rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bridget Heathcote

Bridget Heathcote Member

Hi there, I am considering buying an old weatherboard on a sub dividable block and want to fix up the existing house. I know it is probably a how long is a piece of string question, but does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to re stump a 10m2 house? I'm in Victoria.

TIA

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Both quotes for restumping my 100 square metre house in Melbourne (with normal Victorian-size concrete stumps) were $5,000 (ex GST from memory) plus permit costs of around $100-$150.

(Queenslanders who are tempted to say this is too cheap, should note that Victorian stumps are approximately 1 metre long and a lot cheaper than the ones used up north.)

However, in Castlemaine, you may pay more than I would in central Melbourne because there may be less competition and the restumper may need to pay more for the stumps themselves.

Last edited: 23rd Mar, 2017
  3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Ours was quoted at $100 per stump and there was 80 stumps ($8k) but then also permits and rotten floor joists to replace once they started pulling up the floor. We replaced 50 meters of joists and bearers, final bill was about $11k from memory about 7 years ago.

4. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Hi Bridget, i will tell you my story with restumping, it might be helpful, or not.

We purchased our ppor off a family member (kept front house, subdivided back half - similar to what your thinking of), lovely old weatherboard in caulfield. One of the rooms was on a bit of a lean so got a restumper to have a look. Opened up a can of worms. About 50% of the old timber stumps had termite damage, and most of the flooring bearers and joists. They had also gotten up some of the walls and into the ceiling. We were renovating the house anyway so it just meant a bit more money and time, but if we werent it would have been devastating. We had a pest inspection done at purchase time but access was not good and the guy we got to do it didnt have the modern equipment that could have picked up the termites (inexperience on my part - not being onsite when he was there to ask the right questions - choosing the cheaper option - now i know better!).

The stumper we got was amazing, 6.5k to restump 120sqm house. After termites found he only charged cost of materials to replace all the bearers and joists needed, i think it was another 500 bucks or around that. His company is called brock reblocking (based in oakleigh). Where is this property your thinking of purchasing?

Tufan Chakir and Babesoft like this.
  5. melon

melon Member

Hi Lixas4, did you get Brett from brock reblocking do the job? Can I ask when you do the restumpping, does the stumper needs to remove the exterior base board to access? Or he uses the little gate to access underneath? Thank you for your answer in advance.

6. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Yep thats right it was Brett. He is built for the job and doesnt need much access, i was amazed at how little room he needs. Not sure if he will need to remove base boards, but if he does its no big deal, he will put them back afterwards, he used to be a chippy before he was a stumper. It was 1.5 - 2 years ago.

7. melon

melon Member

Thank you so much! I have decided to let him do the job for me ^^

lixas4 and Joynz like this.
  8. theplonk

theplonk New Member

hey there, I'm a looking for a re-blcker atm--is brock's work high quality and reliable? thanks for your help!

9. theplonk

theplonk New Member

Hey, just after a review of Brock--is is good and reliable?

10. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Yep he was very good, very reasonably priced and knew his stuff. He was easy to deal with and did stuff outside his quotation for free or very little extra cost. Would def recommend

11. kwai chan

kwai chan New Member

Hi melon,
    I came across your post today - posted 4/5 years ago, and hoping that you are still actively monitoring messages coming your way. I am looking a fair-price, reputable & highly-recommended house renovator who can restump my weatherboard house. I read your reply that you were thinking of hiring Brett(Oakleigh)to do the restumping job. Did you go ahead with it? If so, were you satisfied with the outcome.? Appreciate very much if you could reply with a short message.

Thank You,
    fellow house owner with stumping/levelling issues, kwai

12. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi kwai

Where abouts is the property located?

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF