Re-Opening of Christmas Island

Discussion in 'Politics' started by balwoges, 16th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Scott Morrison's reopening of Christmas Island IMHO is being provocative, is he hoping that the boats will begin arriving again so that he can blame BS and claim the beginning of the a new lot of boat people is what will happen if Labor wins the election?
    Remember what he did during the Wentworth election, said he was going to move the Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem and look at the reaction to that from Indonesia and other countries ... :eek:
    To me he is scraping the bottom of the barrell to get back into leadership, I have never been so disgusted and sickened by both parties.
    Hmmm Clive Palmer is beginning to look good ... Joking of course !o_O:D:D:D

LibGS likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

3. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Whe whole cost of reopening Christmas island is really something that the Liberal party created when Peter Dutton had grandeurs of becoming PM .
    The person that ran with it was Phelps, whom replaced Turnball in Wentworth.
    Talk about the unintended consequences of your actions.
    They now have shelved the idea of taking a big stick to power companies , because it looked like they were going to lose in Parliament .

4. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

What’s a billion dollars if it buys votes? Meanwhile how many come here by air?

5. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I still think that the only people who would gain from this are the people smuggler industry.

6. geoffw

And while everybody is talking about boats, the number of applications for protection visas rose 50% last year, to 27,931
    Adobe Document Cloud

That's on shore asylum applications.

7. Noobieboy

Seems to be driven by China mostly. Grants don’t seem to have changed.

Personally, I’m not too worried about number of applications. Anyone with legitimate claim should be looked into. It’s the bleeding hearts policies that result in people losing their life and enrich the mafia that bugles me.

Francesco likes this.
  8. geoffw

The system is being swamped by people from China (with 10% being granted visas) and Malaysia (2%). In the meantime, people from places where they really need help have to wait; the others have the right to work here temporarily.

9. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Pretty angry response from Scott Morrison regarding the cost of reopening Christmas island when money could be going to North Queensland after all the stock losses during the massive rainfall event last week.
    The actual real issue is the government no longer has the numbers in Parliament and still wants to hang in there.
    So at least a few more months of the government barking at its own shadow.
    It will be interesting this week with more stuff coming up for debate , or will it get shut down for fear of not having the numbers.

10. geoffw

The cost of reopening vs the cost of keeping Manus Island open.

The government awarded a contract for providing security to Manus Island for $500M - a company registered to a beach shack on Kangaroo Island and to a post box in Singapore. The company needed and advance of $10M because they didn't have the money to commence the contract.
    Amid the cacophony of Parliament's dying days, two things were overlooked

Pub test failed?

paulF and Angel like this.
  11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It's a unique spot for a holiday. Google the march of the crabs! Pretty cool. Shortish flight from Perth, we were intrigued

12. Noobieboy

Flights cost a fortune!

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I wonder if we allowed more immigration and funded transport to get here for refugees and people in war torn countries if that would reduce people smuggling. I used to be anti boat people, but I think our country has room for a lot more than our intake. Immigration boosts our economy too. They just need to make conditions of the deal that require the adults to contribute to our economy once they get here. At the moment a large proportion stay stuck on benefits.

14. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Why bother and waste time and effort with refugees when u have a constant influx of migrants from 5 million dollar investor visas or other professional migrant visas that can migrate here and hit the ground running?

We already have enough of local bogans and such and trust me they multiply fast too...

Otie likes this.
  15. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

probably would just encourage more people smuggling if we show a softer stance
    there is a never ending supply of people that want to migrate to australia
    whilst its great to greet eveyone with open arms you first have to ask the question, why is Australia the best country in the world to live in?
    The answer, i believe, is because we are an extremely large island and share no borders.which allows our inhabitants to be able to earn ridiculous money in jobs that in 95% of the world would be minimum wage and have zero workers rights
    if we opened our.borders to everyone then competiton for employment would become very fierce and the standard of living of your everyday australian will be ruined
    You can already see this happening in a few industries , mainly Melbourne and Sydney

16. Noobieboy

We have seen what happened in Germany when there was a soft policy towards refugees. The problem I doubt that majority of those that came were genuine refugees.Often genuine refugees are so devastated by conflict that they wouldn't find the money to pay smugglers, they barely have money to feed themselves.

HUGH72 and Sackie like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The people smugglers haven't really stopped - but the border patrol and navy are becoming very skilled at finding them and turning them back. This is what is stopping to arrivals. If that is what works, then they need to invest more in this area.

Turnback is not the same as "stopping".

bmc likes this.
  18. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

mmmm, 38000 klms of coastline, 16 million sq klms of territorial waters is a lot to monitor.
    how many boats / planes do we have commissioned for surveillance ?
    i think our border force may be slightly under resourced.

a difficult situation that will never cease, while our politicians dance around competing for political points.

Sackie likes this.
  19. Noobieboy

It is a blessing in disguise though. Having no land borders is a HUGE benefit. Huge.

Francesco and Lizzie like this.
  20. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Not really. The cost of living here is ridiculously high. I've met many recent migrants who've expressed regret about moving here because they didn't realise that those supposedly very high wages everyone mentions actually don't go that far at all. It's just a number - the context is more important. I know several who left the country because they didn't think it was worth the effort. This is among people with professional qualifications and experience.

I think the number of cities in the world in which a professionally employed person would need to rent in a share house into their 30s and 40s is very, very small. It's quite common here, especially in places like Sydney. People conflate the current Australia with the one of three decades ago.

A lot of people in Australia are doing it very, very tough now. I work in government and even say ten years ago, it was considered a great field of work with a lot of security. Nowadays, short-term contracts are the norm for new recruits. That's a well-paid sector too - I have no idea how people in industries like retail and hospitality with their casual employment (and no guarantees of any kind of employment) even manage.