RCD switch - is it compulsory?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by OzziMelbourne, 20th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. OzziMelbourne

OzziMelbourne Well-Known Member

As per Vic legislation, a compulsory plumbing & electrical inspection has been conducted at one of my IPs and the electrical part of the report says that the property does not have the RCD switch and therefore it needs to be installed.
    This switch protects a person when he/she touches a live wire.

I did some research and found that it seems such switches would be compulsory and rolled out from 2023 but there is only one web-site mentioning this and this not a gov web-site.

My question is if anybody had a similar issue and if such switches are compulsory or they are now just nice to have for safety reasons.

Any links to the existing legislation welcome.

Thanks.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Refer to the checklist.

Electrical Safety Check report - online form

New regulations rollout for Victorian residential tenancies - Electrical connection

https://neca.asn.au/vic/content/changes-victoria’s-residential-rental-rules

"...If a rental provider enters into an agreement from 29 March 2021, (or has a fixed rental agreement rollover into a periodic agreement after this date) the rented premises must comply with this standard and, if requested, this is the standard the electrician will need to bring the rented property to."

Last edited: 20th Jan, 2022
    OzziMelbourne and wylie like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of the law, wouldn't you just upgrade now so you protect yourself from something happening to your tenant.

Any possibility that someone could be hurt would be enough for me, regardless of the fact I could wait another year or whatever it might be if there is any grey area at all in the legislation (though @Scott No Mates seems to have quoted something that says "do it now").

Lizzie, gman65 and James90 like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

That's essentially how I read it, any leases which commenced from 29/3/21 or if requested (by who knows?).

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Westie likes this.
  6. OzziMelbourne

A tenant might also touch a hot bulb and burn their hand. This doesn’t mean I need to put some kind of protection against it.

im happy to do what’s required by law but this is where it ends, considering that I recently already spent some money to maintain this property

7. Scott No Mates

But did you spend any money on compliance?

I spend $X,000's on annual fire safety statements & registrations with Council - it's a cost of doing business.

8. OzziMelbourne

Thanks very much.

Looks like the second link talks about March 2023, but the last one says now if the new rental contract has been signed - this is my case as the contract has been signed several months ago.

so, it’s highly likely I need to do it

9. OzziMelbourne

No, just repairs
    Compliance is an interesting thing :). Nobody cares about the house I live in and if I have the RCD switch but everyone cares about the safety of tenants :), oh, well, it’s a different story

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just had this check done.

My oven needs an RCD or RCBO added. And by 2023 it needed to have RCBOs to each separate circuit - but not required just now. So I’ll be looking at getting the RCBO added to the oven circuit.

But the report also said two architrave light switches had ‘exposed parts’ and I used those switches for two weeks and didn’t see anything!

Later edit - found out that ‘exposed parts means screws in the outside cover plate of architrave switches - they that could technically become live if touched by a loose wire inside).

OzziMelbourne and gman65 like this.
  11. OzziMelbourne

Do you have an idea how much this RCD might cost you?
    Also, I was under impression that there is one RCD. Looking at your reply about the oven, does this mean that it’s like every embedded device should have its own RCD switch?
    Thanks

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think people are getting the new safety check laws - to confirm that the electrical comply with current regs - mixed up with future compliance - when other new regs will start to apply.

The report should state what must be done now to bring it up to the current standard and what must be done by a certain future date to comply with future standards.

OzziMelbourne likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I care about the house we live in, and about any house we offer up for rent.

If your partner or child was killed from the house you live in without an RCD switch that could have saved their life, would you feel the same way you do about the house your tenants are in though?

Edit: Regardless of me trying to protect my tenants because that's just how I live my life, I've also been sued. So my "what can go wrong" radar is always twitching.

bmc, Lizzie and gman65 like this.
  14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’ve just checked my report. It says:

The following observations are made:

- No RCD protection to oven sub circuit.
    Note* The switchboard must have RCDs or RCBOs protection to all final sub-circuits by the 29th of March 2023 as directed by Energy Safe Victoria. RCBOs are critical devices that protect against electrical faults and overloading faults. The electrician recommends upgrading the switchboard to have RCBOs attached to each separate circuit.

The following recommendations are made:
    - Install RCBO safety switch for the oven's final sub circuit.

15. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

@OzziMelbourne, this will answer your questions: FAQ's - Electrical safety inspections and testing. Specifically, question 1 in the FAQs. The cost of the upgrade will depend on whether the switchboard needs an upgrade or just the circuits need an RCD. It can be a few hundred to about $1.2k or so depending on what's needed.

OzziMelbourne and Scott No Mates like this.
  16. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Spot on. These switchboard upgrades aren't required by rental regulations until March 2023.

P.s I know who did these safety checks for you ;)

17. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Has been compulsory for a while in WA

Along with shower screens, blind cords

upload_2022-1-20_22-40-26.png

Homes for sale
    If you are planning to sell your home, RCDs must be fitted to protect all circuits supplying power points and lights before the land title is transferred. If two or more RCDs protecting all power and lighting circuits are not installed, you will need to engage a licensed electrical contractor to install them to comply with the Electricity Regulations.

Renting a home
    Landlords must ensure RCDs are installed in accordance with the Electricity Regulations on the switchboards of their rental premises. If RCDs are not fitted, tenants should contact the managing agent or landlord and request that RCDs be installed as required.

Number of RCDs
    The regulations require RCDs to be installed on the main switchboard in accordance with the Electricity Regulations. Two is a required minimum but more than two may be needed. A licensed electrical contractor will install the correct number and rating of RCDs to ensure your premises complies with the regulations.

Testing RCDs
    All RCDs have a test button (the round blue buttons in the illustration) which should be pressed every three months as a minimum to verify they are functioning properly. When the button is pressed, the RCDs switch should snap into the ‘off’ position instantly.

Moving the RCDs switch back into the ‘on’ position can be done immediately. You may wish to switch off your computing equipment before doing the test. Timing devices and clocks will need to be reset.

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Not quite.

1 A property with a new lease OCCUPANCY after March 2021 eg renewal doesnt seem to be a trigger. A new lease does, PMs can advise. Tenant cant move in until compliant with a inspection as proof.
    2. Any work occurs to the property electrical distribution system for a existing tenancy (Sparkie must comply with new standards)
    can be triggers

Vic homes have a wierd RCD and circuit breaker (RCBO) rule too. Sparkies know the wierd rule and a inspection required under law checks that issue. It prohibits a combined RCD and circuit breaker sometimes. ie rework to replace is needed sometimes. The breaker must be compliant. Apparently some models could be incorrectly installed to bypass the protections if installed upside down or something. Only Vic has the law. Learned this when I heard a spakie advised a fix and owner refused. Sparkie disconnected power and locked the box. Like a form of hostage but its a liability issue. They feared the RCD didnt work as it should. Owner engaged a lawyer who suggested sparkie may have been heavy handed but was not wrong in their action. Solicitor suggested they get the work done (wasnt expensive) to give tenant power. Owner also had to pay for sparkie to come back so it costs more than it should. So was the legal fee deductible ? yes.

March 2023 also requires a overcurrent cut off be installed and its cheaper to comply now if a RCD must be installed.

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Legally required or not, get the damn thing installed. They save lives

I had an electrician rewiring a house for me ... he isolated the entire house via the circuit board and was pulling out the wiring ... one point, in the kitchen, he grabbed and POW! The jolt threw him off the ladder. That solitary single point had been run via a completely separate cable from the detached garage that was still on the circuit (garage was 10m from the house). The cut out saved his life.

I have read many news stories, over the years, of people being killed due to faulty appliances shorting out and zapping their users. Not so much nowadays due cut out installs ... thank goodness.

Get it done, claim it on your tax, don't get sued for negligence, sleep easy

Shogun, Redwing, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  20. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Each year Australians are killed in homes where electrical accidents could have been prevented. Even more are hospitalised with serious electrical injuries and burns. Many of these could have been prevented if safety switches had been installed in their house.

Preventable accidents with tragic consequences:

• a child inserting an implement into a toaster
    • a handyman drilling into a live cable inside a wall
    • stormwater leaking through a roof and into lights and appliances
    Avoid tragedy and have a safety switch installed in your home

I've seen some old wiring over the years

upload_2022-1-21_19-4-37.png

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia