Rates increased higher for existing customer

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by wjw, 25th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wjw

wjw Well-Known Member

I’ve a loan with a lender for about 800k. Owner occupied. Variable. I only got it about 6 months ago.

Recently, the lender increase the variable rate by 0.05% on its website. At about the same time, it also sent me a letter saying my rates have been increased by 0.2%.

Of course I’m gonna have a chat with them. But before I do so, I was hoping if people can share their experiences around negotiating with their lenders.

What are my chances and what can I realistically ask for?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Rate creep.

Happens often as they go up for existing clients and then down for new clients.

3. wjw

wjw Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yup I know what just happened.

I suppose my question is as per my original post. What can someone do and what are the chances. Would be keen to hear experiences instead.

4. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

Are you in a position to refinance? If so, get an idea of what rate you could get elsewhere and then ring up and negotiate with them. I did this once by just ringing up and asking for the loan discharge forms - they then asked why (cause I can get a lower rate x.xxx from xxxx). They then had their retention team chasing me offering a better rate - all for a 10 minute phone call (and a little rate research).

Regards,

Jason

wylie and Terry_w like this.
  5. wjw

wjw Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your experience Jason.

Yes, I’m in a position to refinance and have increased income since (I just got this 6 months ago though, so not sure if that’ll be against me).

6. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Better check for sure as most people that have been knocked back for refinancing on this forum have also had an increase in income as well

7. wjw

wjw Well-Known Member

What are the risks here and what are the reasons for people getting knocked back for refi?

Am I wrong to assume that if I get knocked by a lender I want to refi to then I’ll just stick to my current one or maybe try another lender?

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

for appropriate advice, it may be prudent to share who the lender is, and what was the reason that lender was chosen at the time

ta

rolf

9. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Quick win is to call up mortgage retention and say you're unhappy with the extra basis points slugged to existing customers. They'll refund your annual fee or give some other token gesture as compensation.

Terry_w likes this.
  10. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    If you don't have any luck with this you can also 'submit' a discharge form. Every now and again we do this for clients where we don't get a good result through the normal channels. The retention team always seems to find a bigger discount when a discharge is imminent.

Last edited: 29th Jan, 2019
    Zoolander and JohnPropChat like this.
  11. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Unfortunately thats the only way to negotiate better anything in australia, gotta find a competitor and then 'price match'. Otherwise existing customers always get milked for more profits...

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.