Rate the Guru

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by MTR, 20th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kmrr

kmrr Well-Known Member

At the time, 2013 i think, they were strongly advocating buying in the inner-middle south east.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

the boom started in 2013 inner-middle ring, they got it right BIG TIME.... cha ching

School precincts was the big attraction with this pocket.

kmrr likes this.
  3. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of Margaret Lomas' books. Mentioned previously, she sticks to the basics and does it well.

Steve McKnight had great books and beginners forum, though he rehashed himself and it came across to ke like he was starting to spruik.

Dymphna Boholt. Recently did her course. Occured to me as quite genuine. What really impressed me was her support team. They really walk the walk. Incredibly knowledgeable and quite open to share, (moreso once you're part of the 'in' crowd).

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You think?
    ML predictions have been woeful, and she charges for this? Now if only she told her clients to invest in Melb and Syd over the last 3 years, how hard was that?

DB - read threads/posts on this person, you may change your mind

Giuseppe, Gladys and Perthguy like this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I was also thinking this. isn't she (or team) flirting with jail time???

6. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

I can only go by my own experiences.
    I'm also mindful the most vocal people are those who have had quite negative experiences.

I don't know much about ML. Just a huge fan of her books. Probably my most highly rated.

As for DB. My business partner raves about her as much as I rave about somersoft/propertychat.

From my experiences I would have to agree it was good value for money. (Disclaimer I was a guest and didn't actually pay for any of these courses).

Ian Ugarte runs a seminar called HiRES. It is the first time I've sat in a room and felt someone 'got me' and what I'm trying to accomplish with real estate. That one I did pay for.

The missing piece of a puzzle I was trying to solve turns out came from one of his students who learnt it from him. That deal I did as a JV months before hearing of Ian is $135k positive on a $50k investment. So do I believe the strategies work? Yes. Can everyone do it? Yes, though most likely won't or will say it's bull.

I figured 99% of it out on my own but it took me a few years. I think $4k to have sped it up would definitely be worth it. Though most wouldn't have the 'mass' behind what it means if they didn't put in the sweat equity first.

Still waiting to be mentored by you MTR
    Am still going through your USA posts.

7. radson

radson Well-Known Member

brandontp, mitsui, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  8. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I have personally studied with Steve McKnight and spent many hours chatting to him 1-1.
    He very rarely gets it wrong and operates with 100% integrity.

He introduced me to what I would now classify as a close friend. I won't go into detail but the other day I ran into a building drama and having this contact saved me over 25k.

The course cost me 5....do the math.

MTR likes this.
  9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

$25,000 - $5,000 = $20,000 ahead

Niche, Rentvester, House and 8 others like this.
  10. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Haha thanks, I was having trouble with it.

gty12, Ben_j and Terry_w like this.
  11. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Now I just want to be on that list :)
    Maybe I need to work on raising a few more eyebrows ;)

MTR and Perthguy like this.
  12. Craig Rozynski

Craig Rozynski Active Member

You're absolutely right. I'm using Metropole now and they're horrified at my suggestion to forego maximum CG potential for a little more yield.

I'm trying to reason a bit more cash flow will work to my advantage in the current lending environment but they're not having it.

Phill74 and Perthguy like this.
  13. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Buddha

charttv likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I better add Trump then, just to rattle the cage a little:p

15. datageek

datageek Well-Known Member

I've been collecting the top growth picks of many high profile industry experts for years. Recently I conducted some research to see what their past performance was like. I examined Margaret Lomas, Terry Ryder and John Lindeman and a few more not on the list MTR gave.

The predictions I analysed that these high profilers made were only from late 2011 onward. The half a dozen "experts" I analysed all failed to consistently outperform the national average growth rate up to the end of 2016. I was shocked. Their failure rates were all comfortably above 50%.

I can analyse more predictions of industry experts if members can find sources of their predictions. I'll need to site a reliable source however: date of prediction; name of expert; suburb & state or post code; houses/units/both. I can examine entire LGAs and cities too.

I'm particularly interested in getting past Residex reports from 2010 on. I've offered to purchase old reports from Residex and pay full current prices, but they refuse to sell them to me. Perhaps they know what I plan to do and what I'll discover.

MWI, Orion, New2prop and 5 others like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, no surprises here.

Forget the gurus, and save your $

Just to think all investors had to do to double their money was to invest in either Melbourne or Sydney both markets been booming since 2013. Its not rocket science, just had to look at where the population/immigration was moving to.

MTR:)

petewargent likes this.
  17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Fantastic work! I am not one bit surprised. I really don't like all those guru predictions and hotspotting reports. If an area is a hot spot in a magazine you have probably already missed it. The trick is to find the area before it gets hotspotted. I don't know anyone who can do that consistently.

18. brandontp

brandontp Active Member

I started out reading Steve McKnight's book and trawling through the old SS forum absorbing as much info as I could. I did that for about 6 months.

I then decided that I needed some structured learning and attended every free seminar offered by most of these big names mentioned here as part of my research to find the most suitable course out there. I did this for another 6 months before finally biting the bullet and settling on RESULTS Mentoring (run by Simon Buckingham & Brendan Kelley & Co.).

I have nothing but positive things to say about them. They operate with the absolute highest integrity and professionalism and the team is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to all aspects of property investing & development.

Their course is also the best bang for your bucks in the industry (this was a big motivating factor for me to pick them) as you can book a 1-on-1 call with your assigned mentor as often as once or twice a week for pretty much 52 weeks of the year and they hold your hand through every single deal you work through. Most other courses you get a bunch of CDs and DVDs and maybe a couple of seminars and webinars and that's it, you're on your own after that.

Anyway I've gotten enough out of it that I've signed up to their 2nd year mentorship and plan to stick around for a while longer.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a paying student of RESULTS Mentoring but I'm not financially compensated in any way to plug them so the only reason I'm singing their praises is because I'm genuinely happy with their service :)

gty12, Ostraylia, New2prop and 3 others like this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've said yes to going to the Steve McKnight 3 day event in September. If anybody wants to join me come along. It's free to attend if you pay a $90 refundable payment (if you turn up). At the new ICC Sydney.

Note: Not advice.

MTR likes this.
  20. brandontp

brandontp Active Member

Saw an email in my mailbox for this event and had a quick look. It appears to be a 3-day non-stop spruiking event lol. I've been to a few of those in my times, and whilst they do provide some decent info, the majority the time is spent on up-selling you the presenters' courses :)

Perthguy likes this.