Rate my floorboards

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by dan2101, 24th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Jut about to move into a new PPOR. Plan on doing a Reno and sell down the track (probably 1-2 years). So the idea is to do a nice Reno that we will be happy living in but also not blow a heap of money.

Having a debate about the floorboards in the property. Some people love them and say just sand up and polish and other people hate the 'orange look' of them.

Can I please get some feedback! Keep and sand and polish or Lau new floating floor over the top?!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

They are nice floor boards but too orange for me too. Can they be sanded and stained like @Jess Peletier suggests?

Last edited: 24th Aug, 2017
  3. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

Whats the price difference between the two options? I would say floorboards assuming its the cheaper option.

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I'd sand and stain them a not-so-orange colour. :)

Perthguy likes this.
  5. dan2101

Not sure I paid about $2k to have boards sanded and polished in a similar sized IP 4 years ago. I think they would be fairly similar (or not enough difference for cost to be an issue).

Cheers

6. dan2101

@Jess Peletier have you done this before? Are you meaning a darker stain to get rid of orange tinge?

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I had a similar orange colour... the older Wattle Estapol Part A & B.

Lasted for 14 years and I would have kept it had the tradies not scratched to a point of FUBR.
    Got a guy in to repolish the floors - he used something else different and gave it a nicer lighter natural look.

So my view is either keep it as is, and repolish when selling down the track. The colour of the floor isn't going to change the rent (unless the floor is completely wrecked). But when selling, a nice new polished floor is going to help attract a better premium.

EDIT: Just read its for a PPR. Who gives a crap what others think. The only person that matters in this is the wife - so if she doesn't like it, then sand back and repolish. If you are the wife, then what you say goes :)

Joynz and Savy mum like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd live with them and do them when you do the reno to sell. They will be newly finished (regardless of the colour they end up) and sell-ready.

Beelzebub likes this.
  9. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Floor boards are the BEST!!! I don't know why people cover them!

If the colour doesn't suit your taste and decor, just do what @Jess Peletier said and stain them another colour.

Tanya1335 likes this.
  10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

No I haven't but I also have some orange boards in one of my IP's which will eventually be sanded back and stained - not a fan of orange :)

Tom Rivera likes this.
  11. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Look fine to me, live with them for a while.

12. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

You should be able to get them bleached. That will lighten then up considerably.

13. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Newer oil polyurethane polishes are much less yellow orange than they used to be. Id say 50% less.

If you want lighter again go water based poly, or more natural again consider tung oil but it takes 10 or so coats to really soak in

Tom Rivera and dan2101 like this.
  14. dan2101

Anyone white washed boards like this with any success? My brother is a builder and has talked me out of the floating floor option. Says it's a waste of money when there's perfectly good floor boards there!

Tom Rivera likes this.
  15. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Exactly @DaveM said. If you send the floor it will look lighter and not so orange. You then need to decide what treatment to do. Can be oil based polyurethane which will leave a more orangish color (but not so much as it is now) or water based polyurethane which is more natural but delicate at the same time.

dan2101 likes this.
  16. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Same - they look fine to me.....but maybe I'm easily pleased.

Either way - I wouldn't spend too much on replacing and would go for the sanding and staining option as mentioned above.

Cheers

Jamie

dan2101 likes this.
  17. dan2101

Hey @Luca thanks for the info. What do you mean by 'delicate'. Sounds like this is the look we're after as we dislike the orange but will the natural option get trashed quickly?

Thanks

18. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

dan2101 likes this.
  19. dan2101

Great info @Luca thanks heaps!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia