Rangehood repair

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by lpdowd, 9th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lpdowd

lpdowd New Member

While our property was under management, they arranged for our rangehood to be replaced. This was approximately four years ago. During that time, the side plastic parts of the rangehood have slowly perished to the point that those parts now need to be replaced. Upon removing the rangehood, I discovered that the installer has bent the side of the unit to make it fit. Just wondering if this is standard practice for the installation of a unit that does not quite fit or is it a dodgy installation and if by bending the unit, that has contributed to the plastic side parts breaking apart?

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If it don't fit first time use whatever force required to make it fit.

They should have purchased a different unit and charged you twice for installation.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’d say it was slightly “encouraged” to fit but after four years of a tenant likely not cleaning it very often, I would just chalk it up to experience and get a nice clean new one.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from those photos. Where is the front?

5. lpdowd

lpdowd New Member

We removed the sliding filters as due to the plastic sides cracking, the filters were no longer supported. The photo with stove in the foregeound is the RHS as you look at it and the other photo is the LHS. I have written to Robinhood and they agree that by bending the plastic the installer could have caused a hairline fracture in the plastic thus resulting in its overall failure.

6. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

It only looks like a bit of bent metal to me? Doesn't seem like it would impact anything? Or am I missing something..

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The clips?

8. lpdowd

lpdowd New Member

So the unit as is (without bent metal) has plastic sides that slide into each side which sit flush with the metal. As they have bent the metal, they have also bent the plastic (you can see a couple of bent plastic clips at the top). It would also seem that they’ve bent the crap out of everything, the unit still didn’t fit, so they chopped away at the interior of the cupboard to get it to fit, which is fine, because if they’d done that in the first place, they wouldn’t have had to do all that bending.

mikey7 likes this.