Quotes for inner-Melb extension - opinions and other options

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by PropertyVic, 28th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyVic

PropertyVic Member

We've got permits to do an extension to a single-fronted weatherboard Victorian terrace in Fitzroy North.

The plan is to knock down the back, and build a two storey extension taking the property from one bedroom to four, and adding an extra bathroom (i.e. one upstairs, one downstairs). Sturdy, neat but non-designer finish level. Not huge in square metre terms.

We've had two quotes, one of $388K from a builder who, having met, I can't work with and another of $483K. I had been thinking it would come in at the 3-350K range.

Is it just me, or are these quotes kind of high? Anyone know of a builder who works in the area who might be more reasonable?

A few other builders I've contacted haven't even responded to a request on whether they'd like to quote the job.

Advice, and builder referrals welcome.

2. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

If it is not heritage overlay you may as well knock down and re-build.
    Just get more quotes and do your due diligence.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

No idea if the quotes are high as you haven't mentioned the size of the extension. Get more quotes.

4. innerwestie

innerwestie Active Member

We're going through something similar, but smaller that we're you're doing from the sounds of it. Our first quote was between your 2 quotes. (waiting on our second)
    So here's the problem, Sydney/Melb/Bris are in the middle of a construction boom. I can't walk down any street without seeing a new house going up, or one being renovated/extended. Look in almost any direction and you'll see cranes in the skyline. So builders and associated trades are in very high demand, and as such can quote whatever they want.
    I have a friend who works for a large construction company, he says they're getting builders from the UK because there's not in Australia.
    You're not going to be able get anything built at a reasonable price right now.
    You might get a cheaper quote, but don't expect by much.
    If you want cheaper, wait until construction calms down and builders are actually looking for work.
    Basically we've decided we can wait for now. Might consider owner/builder as well, but not sure I have the time to commit to it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm also keen to hear if anyone else has had a quote for extension recently and thought it was really high.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Do you have the ability to put it out to tender yourself or use a building broker? They (or you) can then tender it to way more than 2 builders and maybe get the price down

Rule of thumb though, extensions are WAY more expensive than normal construction.