Quoted $1200 to repair by Real Estate

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by TomFirework, 7th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TomFirework

TomFirework Member

From what I read they have to lodge a dispute within 10 business days of us leaving the property, is that correct?

"If you and the landlord or agent cannot agree, the landlord or agent must apply to the Tribunal within 10 business days of the end of your tenancy. The landlord cannot claim any money from your bond without your agreement or without an order from the Tribunal."

So if they haven't applied by the 10th business day I should just request it back from the RTBA?

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

That's cheap! Good luck getting a gardener for that!

Looks like there were a bunch of issues (you've mentioned three so far, so I'm guessing there are more), why didn't you just do the right thing and leave the place clean and tidy? I'm somewhat losing sympathy for you.

3. TomFirework

TomFirework Member

The mark on the wall was behind the door and assumed the $500 cleaners would have wiped it off, guess that's my fault for hiring expensive cleaners that didn't wipe everything.

Didn't realise the nature strip was my responsibility as I said I've never rented before.

Thanks though.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Lodge to claim your bond immediately. Don’t wait.

luckyone and TomFirework like this.
  5. TomFirework

TomFirework Member

Do I lodge it with the real-estate or with RTBA? I already requested the bond from the real-estate

6. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Just read through the thread, and my opinion is Landlord is being a d***head.
    As Wylie said above, lodge your claim and fight the issues that the landlord/agent are claiming.
    Your $500 cleaner should have a Rental bond claim guarantee in place.

I think the $1200 for the marks on the floorboard is too much.

luckyone likes this.
  7. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Tell them they are dreaming son.
    $1200 is such a rip-off
    Fight it mate - I am 100% on your side. :D

luckyone likes this.
  8. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

Nope, go straight to the RTBA and lodge a request on their website. How it works (as I recently found out myself) is that whoever gets in first with a claim on the bond is ahead. It puts the onus on the other party to prove why they should get anything other than what the first party has already agreed to.

For example, the agent in my case got in first and said I did huge amounts of damage to the property. They wanted to confiscate the whole bond. I had told them repeatedly that it was all in the entry condition report, every single last thing they were arguing about. They kept saying it wasn't. I had to prove that it was. Didn't take long from showing the arbitrary board the condition report that I was right and the real estate was completely wrong. However, if I hadn't have kept my copy of the condition report I would have been in a lot of trouble, as they had tried to use the condition report from the tenant before me, not the one that was done for my entry.

Dan Wood likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would fight all these claims with everything I got. They are taking the **** big time.

luckyone and Dan Wood like this.