Quoted $1200 to repair by Real Estate

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by TomFirework, 7th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TomFirework

TomFirework Member

Hi,

It's my first property that I've left and my computer chair and table must have left marks on the floorboards.

Can anyone confirm if this would be considered wear and tear or if the quote is correct?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How long were you in the premises?
    Was the quote detailed as to the extent of the repair?
    Are these floor boards or a floating floor?

3. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

What is the age of the property? Do you know if the floors are engineered wood, or vinyl planks? If it's real wood then the owners might want to give them a light sand. Do you know if the quote was to replace a section of the floor? Most companies would not replace only a small section as they can not warranty the entire floor. If you decide to contribute to the requested sum, ensure you get proof that the owners actually carried though with the repairs and didn't just pocket the money.

4. TomFirework

TomFirework Member

- Look like vinyl planks not too sure
    - No advice if it was to sand or replace (I'll ask)
    - I've been in the property 2.5 years
    - Will get proof if they do the work
    - Property is new

Quote says:

The floors are to sand and varnish

5. TheRayTracer

Quote seems about right then as they are real hardwood floors.

6. TheRayTracer

Remember to use floor protectors (from bunnings or officeworks) next time.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

So you were the tenant?

I actually think this is fair wear and tear. I certainly feel for the owner in that the floors do have damage to them but it wasn't malicious or intentional damage therefore it probably is fair wear and tear.

Shazi and wylie like this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Looks like fair wear and tear to me.
    Take it to the Tribunal if you feel the charge is unfair.

TMNT, Shazi and wylie like this.
  9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I would say that it's a little bit above what'd you'd expect wear and tear to be, but I think the price quoted is completely unreasonable, given that they have one floorboard in there that's an entirely different timber. So they can't really say that the small marks devalue the entire floor a lot.

luckyone likes this.
  10. TomFirework

TomFirework Member

If I was to take it to tribunal, how would I argue my case? It's my first rental and I'm really unsure.

The second picture is from a computer chair and the first picture is the bottom of a table, I didn't know it was leaving marks on the floor when it was in position and only found out after the table was removed.

Can I counter offer the proposed cost?

11. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

Normal wear and tear is damage that naturally occurs over time in an investment property due to use and ageing. It typically results from the tenant’s day-to-day use of the property, like walking on the floors and using the bench tops. It can also simply be the result of the property getting older and being exposed to natural forces, such as gutters rusting from rain or timber window frames fading in the sun.
    Wear and tear is something that just happens over time with normal use of the property – something that has not been caused intentionally, or by misuse or abuse. Because wear and tear is expected and considered normal depreciation, it is not covered by landlord insurance.

Damage is caused by tenants and isn’t caused by ageing. It is typically the result of negligence, carelessness or abuse. Insurers generally recognise three types of tenant damage:
    1. Accidental – the result of sudden, unexpected or unforeseen events (such as wine spilled on carpets). 2. Malicious – caused on purpose with intent to do harm, motivated by vindictiveness or spite with the aim of damaging the property (such as punching a hole through a door). 3. Intentional – the result of an act carried out without permission but without malice, and with the full knowledge the action will alter the current state of the property (putting picture hooks in walls or painting a wall a different colour).
    Cover for these three types of damage varies between insurers, with most excluding at least one type. Does your Landlord Insurance provide cover for all three types of damage?

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?
    Fair wear and tear is a cost of doing business that landlords should expect. Repairing or replacing worn fittings and fixtures is the responsibility of the owner.
    Unless a contract states otherwise, tenants are not responsible for paying for fair wear and tear to a property. It’s only when the tenant has been irresponsible, and accidentally or intentionally caused damage to a home, that they are liable to pay for repairs (either directly or have the expense deducted from their bond).

THE BOTTOM LINE
    Disagreements about wear and tear vs. damage frequently occur between landlords/agents and tenants, so it’s important to make sure the condition of the premises is well documented and updated at the time of moving in, during inspections and upon moving out.
    Fair wear and tear is not covered by landlord insurance, but accidental and malicious damage is.

TMNT and Burramys like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

I'd agree, you've been there over two years, there would be signs of use. It is not unreasonable to have furniture in a room. More care could have been taken eg floor protectors or rugs however this may not be all encompassing.

Dan Wood likes this.
  13. TomFirework

TomFirework Member

I've looked at floorboard replacement, sand and polish and I can see it's about $100 a square meter. The first image seems to be the real issue but that's a maximum of about 1-2 m2

Yes I agree I could have placed something underneath but the price is insane for the repair. Do real estate get a kick back from the over-quoting?

14. Scott No Mates

No, it is illegal.

TomFirework likes this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is my opinion too. My parents took some tenants to tribunal (many years ago now) and they got awarded the whole bond for various things they'd damaged, but the floors damaged by bed legs were not considered damage by the "judge", but considered fair wear and tear.

I'd be lodging for the full bond to be returned to you. Get in first and let them fight you for it.

luckyone, Shazi, Hetty and 1 other person like this.
  16. TomFirework

TomFirework Member

They've also quoted me "$33 - Wiping a mark off a wall"

I feel like they're having me on

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That's a joke. I'd fight that one too.

luckyone, Hetty and TomFirework like this.
  18. TomFirework

TomFirework Member

Lastly - 1 meter of nature strip needs to be mown $66

Is it being serviced by a lawyer or a gardener?

Hetty likes this.
  19. TheRayTracer

That reddish looking board, is not actually from a different species. It's just cut closer from the core of the tree.

TomFirework likes this.
  20. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Last rental we had to pay for light globes and they tried to get us to replace part of a ceiling light that was there when we didn’t move in. They also tried to get us to put new curtains in because the 30 year old blinds broke when we tried to use them. Sometimes they’ll try anything on. Do what Wylie said and apply for the bond yourself and they’ll have to fight you.

luckyone and TomFirework like this.