Quote Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Simon L, 2nd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Thought I'd create a thread where people can post quotes they've received from tradies to gain the opinions of others who may have had the job done in the past and see if they are being taken for a ride.

At the very least it could give people some ideas on how to cut costs or encourage them to shop around if others are saying something is too expensive! Suggestions and trade recommendations would also be a bonus

In the interest of remaining anonymous, please do not post business names or contacts in the quotes, but would be good to include location and type of trade so others can make recommendations.

I'll start;

Licensed Electrician in the Logan area (QLD)
    • To supply & install new Chef 54cm Upright Stove & remove old $795.00 + GST (Price includes cost to dispose of old unit)
    • To replace 2x Ceiling fans only in main lounge room & master bedroom $230.00 + GST
    • To replace 2x Ceiling fan/light combos in bedroom 2 & 3 $304.50 + GST
    • Fans are Clipsal Airflow 3 Blade White Model # 3H1200AL-WE and come with a 3 year in house warranty
    • To replace wall plate & test phone line $30.00 + GST
    • To replace antenna with new log periodic digital TV antenna, hockey stick & pole, cable back to ceiling with 4 way splitter $250 + GST
    • $69 + GST per point to replace RG59 cabling with RG6
    Subtotal $1 597.50 + GST

Opinions and suggestions much appreciated.

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Great idea for a thread. When I get a chance I'll post costs for some works I had done last year.

Sackie likes this.
  3. bread_boy

bread_boy Well-Known Member

Great idea Simon!

I cant comment much on the prices you have been given (though I think the 'test wall plate and fix line' for $30+GST is reasonable; I need to do that as well) because I haven't had much work done yet but happy to share my pending quote:

Handyman from Logan area (QLD) working on a site in Moreton Bay area:

• Install hand timber hand rails front & back stairs (for highset) including screws/bolts. Painted $1718.65 incl GST.
    • Supply and install tilt-a-door lock to one door $200 incl GST.

Subtotal: $1918.65 incl GST

4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Quote comparisons are good, but getting work done fast at competitive pricing is even better.

I used service seeking recently for an electric hot water heater replacement recently.
    Got a reply in literally 1 minute.
    Guy came next morning which was only a few hours later, carrying over from previous day.
    Invoicing system was great with invoice emailed in an app with descriptive photos of the job before and after.
    There was a slight problem with a blockage in the join of the pipe causing an issue with water not hot out of the tap, but was hot at the relief valve, so he came back next day to fix, great service.

Got to say, every experience I've had with service seeking has been excellent and don't see any point searching for a tradie any other way.
    Pricing and service has always been great and super fast.

Adele, Noobert, Simon L and 2 others like this.
  5. Simon L

Awesome. Just posted my exact same job on service seeking...lets see what responses I get

6. Simon L

Yep....15 minutes in and 2 response quotes looking much cheaper than original...gold!

7. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Agree to the above - until you move to the mountains... Then it's just a pit of "we have no operators in that area"

8. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Just testing them (Service Seeking) out also. Seems quite painless so far.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Are these quick responces coming from guys in front of the tele?? I'd be concerned why they are so quick to a job online when they should be busy working on their current jobs!

Kesse likes this.
  10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Cos they subscribe and get appropriate jobs alerted to them right away on their phones.
    Who doesn't want to hire a tradie who answers their phones promptly?

Greyghost likes this.
  11. bob shovel

I want tradies working on my job first and then answering their phones

mrdobalina likes this.
  12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I am in the domestic repair industry, and to be honest, we only used S.Seeking when we were starting out until we got a reputation. That was in about 2009. I think those advertising on it are either starting out, or doing questionable work as when you do a good job you generally can't keep up with word of mouth referrals. We don't do any paid advertising and are fully booked 6 months ahead for bathroom repairs and renovations. Service seeking works out as an expensive way to advertise so you would only do it if desperate for work.
    I could be wrong about but that's my experience.

Elives likes this.
  13. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

Depends how they operate. If the company has a fair amount of work, then the owner may be organising jobs and quoting while they have employees actually attending to the work.

kierank likes this.
  14. bob shovel

True. I've been trying to get a hold of a guy this morning and I know he's busy on the job most timeand attends to calls at the end of the day.
    But just dealing with another handy man his wife answers the phone and takes info
    That's what I assumed

15. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

from my service seeking experience (lawn and concreting) they have been excellent but they don't start work right away because they are already on other jobs. they can be competitive in quotes because you often get few calls and emails from tradies. Again, I get them to come onto the property to look and quote properly. my experience has been good so far.

16. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

My recent split system installs through service seeking have been quoted well and very professional operations. One I got them to supply and install and other I purchased the unit from distributor and just got electrician to install. I got one back to back install for $600 including pickup of unit from supplier.

Currently doing 250L Vulcan replacement HWS for $1300 + GST installed. All 3 quotes were competitive and guy I chose went out there and gave good advice etc. Then when PM went to book in job, he was unreachable. Luckily I had two other solid options which I am going with.

In this case my PMs plumber first recommended a DUX - half capacity at $500 more. Other than being a rip off my research shows DUX is crap if you want long term economy and bunnings just push them and bonified plumbers don't touch them.

CHOICE have useful article on top models.

MY PM is excellent but often when the spend is over $1,000 its worth stepping in and just getting second opinions and doing your own research (if not an emergency of course)

17. kimba88

kimba88 Well-Known Member

Nice thread!

All in Moreton Bay region:

Polished Timber floors with carpet removal, etc $2100 for approx 58-60m2. Did a beautiful job too.
    2.5kw fujitsu air con supply and install $1400
    3 x fan/light combos supply and install $500
    I'm hoping i haven't been ripped off with my quotes.. but they are the cheapest i could find.

18. bob shovel

@kimba88 bargain! All cash deals ;) great prices for supply and install

19. kimba88

kimba88 Well-Known Member

Nope, not cash jobs :)

20. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Just received a quote on an ordinary laundry sink and cabinet to be replaced in Logan, supply and install $500. Fair enough?