Health & Family Quitting alcohol and social life

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 13th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Because, like many with similar issues, we try to hide the problem.

geoffw likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Well done @willair. You've been open about your difficulties, and it's good to see that you've stayed on the wagon.

And well done to your good self as well.

willair and SatayKing like this.
  3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I tried recently and found it to difficult to quit, mainly because I don’t want too.

I drink Friday & Saturday nights. But nothing through the week and enjoy it after work on a Friday to wind down.

The issue is often it’s overboard, and I end up pretty hungover on Saturday but it’s getting less and less. I feel like I’m close to having a problem as I can’t give it up on weekends. By definition that’s a problem?

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

:p:p
    Yes who knew 2021 would be more alcohol on our hands than in our bloodstream?

Just back from a very nice lunch where everyone drank wine except me. So nice to just drive home when I’m ready.

everyone asked me how many years it’s been since I had a drink, they must think I’m in some sort of program:p

willair and geoffw like this.
  5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes. The big players are usually like that especially for graduates- its all about image and fitting in with the old boys club.
    Females, contrary to popular opinion, have a greater chance of getting hired than males in this day and age (call it reverse discrimination if you want but that is reality irrespective of what the HR politically correct lines are) - especially if she is pretty (just needs passable capability ( (however stringent their internal bar might be) with the attitude to learn), then its a slam dunk hired on the spot.
    Im saying this after working with several of the above from the IBM's to the Mckinseys. .dont shoot the messenger- im just reporting.

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2021
  6. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Great to hear that many are still abstaining and sticking to their goals.
    I still drink occasionally as i had no intention of ever stopping and sometimes would be off it for weeks and even over a month.
    Another good thing is that it seems that my message finally went through to my friends as they are drinking a lot less and no pressure is put on anyone when they decided not to drink for whatever reason.

Heinz57, Jess Peletier and geoffw like this.
  7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

This is super important, I reckon. I like a glass of wine, but it gradually creeped up to sharing a bottle with hubby every night...not ideal. And I started just feeling crap. So I stopped, for the most part, and am feeling good. Also feeling good just being ABLE to not drink and still enjoy myself.

Like MTR, I'm not stopping entirely, but just being happy without it is a win.

paulF, Baker and geoffw like this.