Health & Family Quitting alcohol and social life

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 13th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

just be careful, ginger beer is often very high in sugar

Kelvin Cunnington and willair like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ginger beer lite......Bundaberg is better than the full monte
    Its seriously good

3. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

awesome effort.
    I cant go past about 2 stubbies these days - lose interest in beer - and then I need to go to a wine or a Jim Beam and coke, or simply stop altogether.

4. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Just hit one month alcohol free, for the first time ever. Day 35 now.

Had been drinking way too much for years (100+ units a week), but never able to cut down significantly or stop, despite repeated attempts and methods. Will power alone doesn't work for some. It's there in the morning, but one drink evaporates it. So I got sober with some pharmaceutical help, worked for me. First week was hard, some withdrawal stuff and a lot of fatigue, but now things are good, more alert and active, mood better, sleep better (although for a while it was worse), gym better, and weight has dropped 5kg, 1kg a week. Desire for alcohol has decreased also, which is great because I want to keep this going.

As far as social life… no real impact, people generally supportive. At a gathering of Barcelona locals trying to push a beer on me l just told them I was taking a month off and they accepted that, so I didn't come clean exactly. They are generally not big drinkers here but being completely dry is unusual. Off to Australia next month, plan to do the trip alcohol free, will be some social events with alcohol involved but I'm pretty confident about it. The free drinks on the 24 hour plane trip are more of a worry.

ellejay, paulF, House and 7 others like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Well done Casteller. Keep it up!

Casteller likes this.
  6. Mws

Mws Well-Known Member

What was the pharmaceutical help you used?

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

bundaberg ginger beer diet, tastes fantastic too,

honestly i cant tell the difference

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ditto

TMNT likes this.
  9. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I use Disulfiram (/antabus). It's a bit controversial, it causes you to be badly poisoned if you take alcohol. The doctor here was a bit reluctant but prescribed it after some discussion. Maybe it's easier to get here than in Australia, don't know. The temptation of alcohol can't overcome the fear of rapid illness. I was planning to use it just as a kick-start but might stay on it a bit longer, like 3 months or so. It's powerful stuff, can't even use bathroom products with alcohol in them, which is just about everything.

There is another less dangerous and more popular drug called Naltrexone which reduces cravings, but I went with the "do or die" approach.

Last edited: 28th Nov, 2019
    willair likes this.
  10. Kelvin Cunnington

well done to you!
    Keep it going!

Casteller, Mws and TMNT like this.
  11. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Nice work @Casteller I found the first month the hardest by far, once I finally got passed one month (failed 3 times at hitting a month mark prior), it got much easier. I'm coming up 8 months sober tomorrow. Stick at it mate and don't be afraid to post on here if you're struggling. I honestly think this thread helped me get as far as I have, just being able to put into words what's going on in your head sometimes, no matter who is listening or whether you know them or not, it's like a pressure relief valve. Also keeps you accountable in a way, looking forward to being able to add another month on the thread as you go! Having been to Spain many, many times, I imagine an attempt to get sober there would be difficult. Amiable weather, outdoor dining and cheap grog everywhere. Good luck mate.

EDITED to add:- Not 8 months for me, it'll be 7 month tomorrow, getting ahead of myself!

Last edited: 29th Nov, 2019
  12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't know anyone that has used Disuifiram but i take my hat off to you for going down the sober road and the win at all costs attitude ..Nothing wrong with being a ''Teetotaller'' and waking up each morning sober once you get used to that as the first weeks month was very hard for me still is every now and again ,and just on 11 months now for me now and if you take it one day at a time it will work..good luck..

13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Great to see so many jump on the alcohol free bandwagon.

I on the other hand have been really enjoying my drinks lately. I've had a few incidents lately around mates getting drunk that cemented my believes around Alcohol.

I stopped caring completely about what others around me say or do when it comes to my drinking.
    If i feel like a drink i have some, otherwise no chance in hell I'll have any no matter the pressure. A few drinks a session are more than enough for me and seems like most around me have got the idea by now.

I've been getting some really good drops (Wine and Rum) and been enjoying quality and experience over quantity.

Nodrog, TMNT, Propagate and 1 other person like this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

as i get older and for some reason my alcohol tolerance is getting lower, I am tending towards quality over quantity!
    so am happy to drop $200 on a bottle of wine wholesale

paulF and Nodrog like this.
  15. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Interesting posts re quality over quantity.

Let’s not turn this ‘no alcohol’ thread into an alcohol thread however

16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@Heinz57 , the thread was never meant to be a 'no alcohol' thread but I'm glad the thread went that way and that many are going completely sober

Heinz57 likes this.
  17. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

It’s got so long I forgot where it started!

paulF likes this.
  18. Kelvin Cunnington

Ive gone to a "no drinks during the week" life now; not for anything to do with social impact with friends; just my personal attempt at not over-indulging; which seemed too easy in recent months.
    I found it was becoming common to have 3 or even 4 glasses of wine at night, every night.
    It was becoming a comfort/habit thing.
    Dangerous.
    Now its only Fri and Sat, and only a couple.
    Might let the hair down over summer hols a bit though.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Or well in just over a week it will be one year ..

I hope all the other's that have gone down this path go into the new year the same way in--between the up's and downs and trying to manage your life better..good luck for the new year..

Angel, paulF, Propagate and 1 other person like this.
  20. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Well done @willair it'll be 8 months for me at year end. A dry Christmas isn't phasing me in the slightest either if I'm honest.

paulF, willair and TMNT like this.