Health & Family Quitting alcohol and social life

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 13th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

That was part of it, yeah. Plus I wanted to hike up Damavand, and travel around a bit and see Isfahan, etc.

2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

That's dedication!

3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

2 months dry today. Feeling great.

luckyone, Coffee, paulF and 9 others like this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Well done!

Propagate likes this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Propagate and geoffw like this.
  6. SatayKing

7. geoffw

I'm paywalled. I found the article in a publication I'd never seen, but that seems to have contributed to my Fairfax free article limit.

The article didn't point to anything saying why it was bad - it just pointed out that a minority was contributing to a large proportion of alcohol consumption. Not surprising.

I gave up due to a health hazard which is rarely mentioned. It was very bad for the health of my marriage. I was consuming too much (note the use of the word "consuming" to soften "drinking"). I tried cutting right back, but that didn't work. So I gave up completely. And I'm still married.

Propagate, TMNT, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  8. SatayKing

A couple of paragraphs from the article.

"It's unfortunate but true - alcohol is a carcinogen and there is no safe dose. Alcohol use increases the risk of mouth, throat, liver, bowel and breast cancers, and is estimated to be responsible for one in 20 deaths around the world."

"There are also things that drinkers can do to help themselves. There is evidence that half of drinkers regularly accept drinks they do not want to avoid peer pressure or offending their hosts. Manning up (an awful phrase - SK) and refusing drinks others try to push on us can reduce total intake. Research also shows that actively counting one's drinks has a dampening effect on total consumption."

geoffw likes this.
  9. geoffw

The article in the regional rag I read was very cut down, and didn't have that information. Perhaps the editor enjoyed his tipple a little much. Thanks for the info.

10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Well @SatayKing looks like you’ll have to flush your supply of Four Pillars down the dunny:). I’m mean directly not indirectly through you:cool:.

11. SatayKing

Absolutely no way would I waste any booze unless it goes through me. Awful concept to pour it out.

Yes, alcohol is a poison but so is mercury and we have that floating about in us. It's all a question of risk and quantities all else being equal. Nothing so good as a fine G&T on a hot day.

For others who have reduced or eliminated their intake for reasons which are personal to them all power to them. They have taken a rational approach and adhere to it.

Nodrog likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ive always wondered, if alcohol magically became extinct or you were forced to live in a alcohol free country, how would most people react

I reckon, all the true alcoholics would struggle and do anything for their fix, and the booze lovers would simply get used to it and go and find a hobby or change their entertainment habits

alcohol is all too easy to get and society and peers simply have it for the sake of it every weekend, or to cure boredom,

Im not even a regular drinker , a binge drinker as they call it, but on a weekend with no kids, and nothing to do at home, am tempted to drink something at home, just for something to do

13. geoffw

Then you're odd? ;-)

TMNT likes this.
  14. Propagate

I know for me, anecdotally, I do feel better generally since not drinking. I'm sleeping better, less brain fog, can't say I've much more energy as such (but we have just taken in a rescue puppy that was abandoned, so combined with our current two dogs it's bloody exhausting at home just now). I have managed to up my training considerably and no longer wasting weekend mornings feeling hungover.

I'm two months and a week dry now, after daily drinking for a long time before that, last time I tried to cut-back and go a month dry was January and I fell apart at day 26. This time, no cravings until two nights ago and they hit hard out of the blue. The last two evenings I have literally sat and imagined how good an ice cold beer would taste, topped off with a good whisky. It was incredibly hard not to grab what was in the fridge (particularity as there's still a few bottles of Bridge Road in there and two nice bottles of whisky I was given as a gift for taking in said puppy).

I think it has highlighted to me that I'm kidding myself thinking I could drink again at some point, just for the enjoyment. The feeling the last two nights are very different from "I just fancy a xxxx", it's a feeling of compulsion, which suggests to me that if the bottle gets opened again it may never get closed.

willair, SatayKing, wylie and 3 others like this.
  15. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

You are doing great , keep it up. If you get that again, try to get busy. Just stop whatever you are doing and get busy doing something else. Go for a walk, a run or just get out and do something in the garden ...

Propagate likes this.
  16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think anyone needs anything more than a few quick drinks to prove to themselves that alcohol is bad for the body. Hence the hangover and all the vomiting if really abused.

With my own experience, i noticed that not giving my body time to breakdown the alcohol is what gives me the worst hangovers. So, long sessions were i keep to a drink an hour are perfectly fine even if i have 6-8 drinks(Which is a rarity these days). But on the other hand, having even 2 drinks in say half an hour is a guaranteed hangover.

Ohh and it's dry July for me.

Propagate likes this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@Propagate I'm not much of a drinker at all, so I don't understand the desire to have a drink, but I understand that when I get that urge for chocolate I would probably knock a small child out of the way to get to a Freddo.

What sprung into my mind reading your post about having a beer and whiskey in the fridge and feeling so tempted is to see if you would still want that if you drank four glasses of water.

I know if I did that, no way would I want anything more to drink. But I guess people who drink beer after beer after beer may not get that same feeling of having no more room for another drink, regardless of what it is?

Well done on resisting the temptation by the way.

paulF, Nodrog and Propagate like this.
  18. Propagate

It's a great idea @wylie and exactly what I did last time I tried to quit a few years back, coming in from work before even opening the fridge I'd grab a pint glass and smash 2-3 pints of water down ASAP. Last thing I wanted to do was float a beer over that. It really helped break the habit cycle that time.

19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Have successfully managed to restrict my alcohol consumption to 1 - 2 beers a few times a week. A couple of enjoyable specialty craft beers with the wife of an afternoon. Happy with that.

Spirits however is a no go. It’s impossible to stop at one or two, at least at this stage.

Fortunately I don’t really like wine any more so giving that a miss is easy.

paulF and Propagate like this.
  20. geoffw

I found that cold soda water was helpful in breaking the cycle of a cold beer after working outside in the summer. A Sodastream has been very useful.

paulF likes this.