Health & Family Quitting alcohol and social life

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 13th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

That's interesting. My 19 year old son says he isn't going to drink because he's seen what alcohol does to me. So far it has worked for him, I tell people I drink so my kids won't........ I'm a happy drunk but alcohol transforms people.

paulF, Propagate and TMNT like this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Vexed issue. I'm sure my tendency to over indulge may have impacted on my children. As far as I am aware none of them either smoke or drink.

Then again none of them drink coffee and I can down multiple cups of it with ease. My eyes are still spinning from the Turkish brew this afternoon.

Zenith Chaos and paulF like this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see if anyone doesnt drink alcohol and any form of caffeine
    That includes tea, green tea, coffee, energy drinks, coke

Im currently minimal alcohol, one coffee week and dont do energy drinks, no teas

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Green tea at home, black tea at work, Soy Flat white coffee take away's and I don't smoke (never have) nor do any energy drinks, or any type of soft drink, Just plain water or Diet Tonic Water. Can't stand the sugary taste of soft drinks. I'll occasionally have a Gatroaide after a very long run or tough ride but more for the electrolytes.

Weirdly though, since stopping the drink so far I've some how gone from Flat White's to Long Blacks and increased from 1 to 3 per day. I think that probably says something about my personality type, with one thing going (booze) something else needs to step into it's place.

Zenith Chaos, TMNT and paulF like this.
  5. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Likewise here with wine, I only drink good wines(very subjective matter) and prefer quality over quantity.
    I rarely feel like a drink when i'm by myself so opening a bottle means i have to finish the it and that was my problem years ago. We had an amazing stock of wine at home and couldn't get myself to down the leftover wine into the sink after a few drinks so every sitting was at least a bottle.

My solution for the problem was simply to not open a bottle unless i know there will be people around to finish the bottle after i have a taste. Otherwise, it will go to the sink.
    Other than coravin style options, i've never seen any syphoning tools that could work unfortunately. Some wineries have been producing canned wine if that is an option for you ...

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

don't worry about a few extra bits of caffeine

so much better than too much booze, keep up the good work

SatayKing and Propagate like this.
  7. Propagate

Thanks @TMNT (I've only just twigged what TMNT stands for, maybe I need a 4th coffee?).

17 days without a drink today, this is the second longest I've gone in years and so far no inclination to reach for one so feeling pretty good. Having said that, I went 26 days in January without any inclination until the inclination came with a vengeance on day 27 and I was right back into it.

I am determined to go this whole month dry then see how I go from there.

MTR, Zenith Chaos, Coffee and 2 others like this.
  8. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Ah maybe not. Seems according to current medical research long-term it doesn't too well for blokes in the waterworks department.

Can't bloody win!

Propagate and TMNT like this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I was going to also say watch out for those people that die because theyve had like 12 energy drinks in a few hours and their heart stops due to too much caffeine or something along those lines

10. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Canned wine sounds interesting, however, larger volumes of wine age better - magnums > standard > half bottle. I can't imagine wine aging well in a bite size can to be at the level of quality vintage wine.

Bit I'll definitely give it a shot. Young whites and quaffer types are probably perfect.

11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just wondering how is everyone going with the no drinking..

Myself just near six months now,election night was the hard one but just drank tea..

Good luck to everyone trying ...

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Well done @willair.

I've just been through the exercise of emptying dozens of bottles of wine which I had in my "cellar" when I gave up years ago. I had given away many dozens, but the ones left weren't any good. I've heard that wine makes good fertiliser, but there's only so much wine that a garden absorbs.

About half the wine I had was all that remained of a rather expensive failed agribusiness investment. Each of those bottles probably cost me well over $100 each.

When my wife has a glass (of her own wine, not the old spoiled wine), I don't mind smelling it. I don't have any temptation to try.

Nodrog, wylie, paulF and 2 others like this.
  13. Propagate

Nice one @willair

28 days for me today, a new record by 2 days! Was going great until about 25/26 and got a super strong urge to reach for something, so I grabbed a jar of picked onions instead, that seemed to do the trick.

Been a tough week last week with partner losing her job out of the blue, thankfully I didn't feel the need to reach for anything, though she had a couple of brandy's to steady her nerves at the shock and I have to say, it smelled amazing, I had to walk away.

I'm feeling so much better too, not that I used to wake up daily with a hangover but I definitely wake up less foggy and I'm a little less tired generally through the day. It's showing up in my training too now, I'm running faster and harder than I was before, helped by fueling recovery better afterward rather than floating a couple of beers straight on the top of a workout I guess, plus I've dropped almost 2kg (not that I needed to but the upshot of that is I need to eat even more now, good bonus, I do love food ;-) )

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Simon Hampel, Nodrog, wylie and 3 others like this.
  14. willair

That's what i'm working towards Geoff ,where I no longer want to drink may take a bit more time to get to that stage ,but I know one item health wise the sugar levels are a lot lower ..

Propagate and geoffw like this.
  15. willair

That's good,i found the first month very hard ,but once I went past 3 months it starts to get easy day by day..

It will work out with your partner,life is full of change most times for the good..

Propagate likes this.
  16. geoffw

Well done @Propagate. You've been very open about the times you haven't quite done what you would like to have done, so it's great to see you get further along the path. Great job!

Propagate likes this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I’m very happy to be exactly where I want to be with alcohol now. That is, able to occasionally enjoy one or two drinks without any desire to have more and easily able to say no. Best of both worlds in that I can have a couple of light strength beers with mates on infrequent occasions, have none or stop at one when my wife likes to have a couple of drinks. No problem watching her have a drink now and not feeling the urge for one myself.

Importantly I’ve completely eliminated spirits. This was the bad one for me as after I’d felt I’d had enough beer and / or wine (which I drink slowly) on top of that I could seem to drink any number of spirits. Because the spirits usually had Diet Coke with it I drank it quick like soft drink but without ever feeling like I was full. I could easily drink near half a bottle of spirits on top of the rest.

My wine intake is pretty much nil also. This was easy as I’ve never been much of a wine drinker anyhow.

What has helped is that I’ve become keen on getting fitter, stronger and healthier. Getting cholesterol, blood pressure, heart rate, body fat lower lower are my goals. Aiming for set numbers is my motivation. My blood pressure has generally been normal but with a heart aneurysm the lower the better even down to 90 / 60.

Finally I’ve reduced our expenditure by a noticeable amount. Craft beer, decent quality wine and in particular spirits was an expensive habit. More to buy shares with and spend on healthier pursuits.

Zenith Chaos, paulF, willair and 2 others like this.
  18. geoffw

Haha. Reducing money on craft beer gives you more money to buy shares, so that you can earn money to buy craft beer.

Zenith Chaos, Propagate and Nodrog like this.
  19. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

After 12 months it seems quite natural to be a non drinker

TSK, willair and Propagate like this.
  20. Propagate