Quick MyTax question

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Cimbom, 1st Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

So I've just finished filling in my tax return and the amount of tax refund was a bit lower than I was thinking it'd be. I clicked the "more details" link under the amount which shows the breakdown of the calculation. There is an amount of -$1,040 for "Employment termination payment and unused leave" which I have no idea what it refers to. I was not terminated from my job and none of these factors in the link (Withholding from unused leave payments on termination of employment) apply to me. Any thoughts?

2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Did you enter the data or it prefilled it ?

3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I didn't enter it anywhere and I can't see it prefilled. It only appears in the calculation of the refund at the end

4. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Ok call ato and ask

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The item for ETPs may have a prefilled item there and you skipped it. However, normally that issue should INCREASE tax offsets not reduce a refund. However if the taxable income incorporates a ETP then your taxable income may have been increased AND a tax offset given

One of the failings in MyTax is it does now allow taxpayers to skip ahead. I would go back to the relevant sections and review. Places to check - PAYG summaries for boxes A, B and C and also ETPs