Questions regarding building quality of new home

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ithilien, 23rd May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ithilien

Ithilien Active Member

Hey guys,

We’re hoping to purchase a property that we found last week. It’s in a very nice suburb that we wish to live in, and the price of the house is really good, something we’ll just be able to afford.

Another big advantage is that the property already have a granny flat built in the back. This will save us heaps of time and effort from building our own one. Which will be additional cost and take more time. Since we can just rent out the secondary straight away.

The only problem is that the property has been built by a less than reputable builder – Beechwood Homes. The company doesn't seem to have a good reputation with regard to their project homes, here is how the company stands compared to the other major builders in Sydney:

Home Builders Sydney & NSW Reviews - ProductReview.com.au

Most of the reviews given from previous clients have been pretty bad:
    Beechwood Homes NSW

Although it seems a lot of the complaints are with regard to build times and delays, which isn’t a concern for us as the house has already been built.

Also the newer reviews seem to be getting better:
    Beechwood Homes NSW

2. Ithilien

Ithilien Active Member

But what is definitely important for us is the quality of the finished building.

We had a house 8 years ago where it had serious leakage issue in the roof. It was by an owner builder that went bankrupt and we spent a lot of time with the repair work, we’d rather not have this again. Although seeing Beechwood is a much larger company, I’m not sure how much it applies in this instance.

Does anyone who have engaged with those guys before have any advice? How is the quality of their finished building? Are there any issues such as leakage or defects? And if so how hard was it to get these fixed?

I’m not sure if I’m worrying too much, but this is a serious decision for us to take with regard to the home purchase. It’s a great financial commitment and we’ll be living in there for many years after all.

Anyway sorry for the long post, but we’re quite lost on this atm and hope for some genuine advice. Sincerely appreciate any help that can be given!

Best Regards,
    Ithilien

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Why risk it? There are always other properties. Sydney isnt exactly booming.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Why not just get a building inspection done?
    If you didn't know which company built it, would you have any quesiotns?

And if after that you are still not sure, just lower your offer to match what you think you may need to fix.

The Y-man

craigc and Tom Rivera like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

By the way, this is why we always by a used, pre-loved home these days (2 of them are close to 100 years old) - all the troubles have been nutted out!

The Y-man

6. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Definitely get a good building inspector to have a look if you are concerned. Also consider the statutory warranty that may apply to give you some protection.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Dissatisfied people tend to post more reviews than satisfied ones.

After we booked our first cruise I read reviews. I was seriously concerned about the ship and would have reconsidered had the booking not been finalised. We went, we had a wonderful time and the ship was magnificent. I saw only one of negatives among the dozens in the reviews, and it did not affect us at all (lack of a central staircase).

The house is built. Pay for a thorough building inspection. Then make your decision.
    Marg

The Y-man likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia