Questions for uber drivers.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Dylan33, 14th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

just wondering what the procedure is when doing a pick up for uber ? Does the gps direct you to the pick up address ? Also when you've picked up the rider are you directed to the drop off address?
    I'm wondering how hard it would be to drive if you only had a basic knowledge of the area.

2. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

We caught our first uber yesterday. I asked the woman about sat nav. She said the uber app shows her the way but she just uses google as she found the app didn't give the best directions.

On a side note I wont use a taxi again. On the way there we took a cab. Crappy worn out Camry. Driver barely spoke a word of english and wanted us to get out while at the traffic lights.

On way back in the Uber had a neat Honda CR-V. Door to door and 25% cheaper. No brainer.

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

As an ex taxi driver I found that the passenger in 80% of the time knew where they were going and can direct you. Where they can't use the GPS etc.

Also, once you receive the job and you know the final destination, have a quick look to work out the quickest route to the final destination.

Try and get to the pick up spot as quick as possible any way you can.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We have used Uber a few times.

Most drivers use an iPhone with the map and route outlined on it. We were told drivers are reluctant to deviate from the designated route even if, as locals, we know a better way. Apparently drivers are expected to stick to the designated route as that is how the fare range quoted was calculated.

When booking the Uber we give the exact pickup location and the destination.

Once we had to be picked up outside a hospital. Once the app showed the driver on his/her way, I sent a quick text telling the driver exactly where we were standing.
    Marg

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Not all uber drivers use the satnav. We ordered one with plenty of time to catch an interstate bus- and watched him turning in circles, 2km away, while our "plenty of time" disappeared. We missed the bus and had to pay another full fare.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that some passengers will want to go a certain way home. It may even be quicker than the designated route.

I found it pays to listen to the passenger in such instances. As long as it's not a ridiculous way around. It helps to keep harmony in the vehicle.

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

i got a uber from the airport about a month ago. Received a call from the driver to say he was on the way and would be there in 2 min.

Then after 10min no show it seems he cancelled me because it was a short distance. I then just had to order another and the driver confirmed they can see the destination and some drivers dump bookings once they realise it is a short trip.