Questions about property investment using a Trust as the investment entity

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Sigemup, 11th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sigemup

Sigemup Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

1. Do you invest in property or PPOR using a Trust or an LLC ? Which is preferable from the standpoint of 1. Tax and 2. Income Distribution ?

2. Can same person can be both Trustee and Beneficiary of a Discretionary Trust if it has one more beneficiary that is an LLC the owner / Director of which is the first beneficiary of this Trust ?

2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Pros and cons of both

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Op are you talking about us investment structures? Or you just read a american investment book?

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

1.D on the circumstances but a discretionary trust is the only 'entity' that can distribute income.

2. This sentence doesn't make sense. Are you asking can the director be a beneficiary? Nothing at law would prevent this do it would depend on the terms of the deed. Get legal advice

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

We don't call them LLC's here in Australia - that's a US term.

You'd probably use a Proprietary Limited (Pty Ltd) company here in Australia for an unlisted company (up to 50 shareholders).

However, I believe that a (US) LLC can operate differently to an (AU) Pty Ltd company in that there might be an option to "pass through" income to the shareholders so that tax liability rests with the shareholders rather than the company structure. In this regard, it would operate more similarly to a discretionary trust in Australia.

A discretionary trust must pass on all income (including capital gains) to beneficiaries - and which beneficiaries get that income is up to the "discretion" of the trustee - and it is those beneficiaries who will be responsible for any tax liabilities on the income they receive.

In Australia, a Pty Ltd company is its own entity for tax purposes and will pay company tax rates on any profits or capital gains - at which point it can then pass on dividends (which may or may not include franking credits for tax already paid) to shareholders. It doesn't get to choose which shareholders receive the income (although there may be multiple classes of shares and not all classes receive a dividend) - but it can choose not to distribute any income and instead retain it in the company.

As mentioned - there are pros and cons with both structures.

The main issue with Pty Ltd companies owning property is that they don't get a CGT discount like individuals do - so streaming capital gains to an individual beneficiary from a discretionary trust can be more tax effective in some circumstances. But there are other benefits to Pty Ltd companies too - so it very much depends on your circumstances.

Very few regular investors that I know use Pty Ltd companies to own real estate. Some people use discretionary trusts, but most will hold in their own names so that they get negative gearing benefits as well.

When using a discretionary trust (especially as a "Family Trust"), it is common to have a Pty Ltd company as a "corporate" trustee and the two parents of the family (ie husband and wife or whatever) being directors of that company - they control the trustee, and so get to decide how the trust operates and how it distributes income.

Obviously, if you are trying to achieve something different, you might need a very different structure.

Sigemup likes this.
  6. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Read @Terry_w legal and tax tips. The answers are all there. Terry has closed the library for the day so you will have to find the books yourself.

7. Simon Hampel

Just remember that the primary purpose of trusts are for asset protection. Trying to use them solely for tax purposes can actually work against you in some circumstances - they are more costly to operate than buying directly in your own name, and you lose negative gearing benefits.

Unless you actually need the asset protection a trust offers - you may be better off without one. It will very much come down to individual circumstances and your goals / needs.

8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

I would say for many of the clients ive dealt with the primary purpose was estate planning and intergenerational wealth transfer. Asset protection was merely a bonus.

9. Terry_w

The people that come to me for advice on trusts are mainly after the tax benefits. I think of asset protection as a side effect. Also asset protection doesn't work like people imagine

Mike A likes this.
  10. Sigemup

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the reply and detail on Pty Ltd structure !

the second question I asked - below is an example to give clarity on the question:

are these Trust structures valid:

Trust Structure 1:

Trustee 1 - Person A

Beneficiary 1 - Person A

Beneficiary 2 - Company (Pty Ltd) B.

Director 1 of Company (Pty Ltd) B - Person A

Trust Structure 2:

Trustee 1 - Company (Pty Ltd) B

Beneficiary 1 - Person A

Director 1 of Company (Pty Ltd) B - Person A

Thank you also to other guys replied above on the purpose of Trusts and benefits !

Edit: Modified LLC to Pty Ltd

11. Simon Hampel

Yeah, good point - I hadn't really considered the estate planning and wealth transfer options.

The advice I was given very early on was to "start with the end in mind" - meaning to look beyond our initial needs and consider what the future might look like. That would include estate planning and having more flexibility in how we choose to pass on our wealth.

As it turns out, I am now a company director (and regularly get legal threats :rolleyes: ) and so the asset protection is also important.

kierank and Mike A like this.
  12. Simon Hampel

Do you always advise them to set up a trust?

Do you ever advise them NOT to set up a trust, or it is more a matter that they already want a trust by the time they come to you?

13. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Anything is valid. Except maybe having your 15 yr old son as director or his pet hamster. But the question is whether it is a wise idea.

Sigemup likes this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Stop using the term LLC - as I explained, that is not something we use here in Australia.

Having a personal trustee is generally a bad idea - it gives you pretty much zero asset protection.

If your trust deed allows it, you can distribute to another Pty Ltd company (you'd need two - one to be corporate trustee and the other to be a beneficiary). You'd want to be directors of both companies. Starts to get expensive to manage this - you'd want a sizeable investment portfolio to justify it?

Trust structure 2 is more common and is basically what I described I think? Not sure why you'd do that if there's only one of you though? What is the benefit of a trust and company structure when you're only streaming income to a single person? Unless you are planning for the future and have nearish-term goals to get married and start a family?

15. Sigemup

Hi Mike,

I do understand that the important question is about whether it is a wise idea. The purpose of the question that I asked is that I read in a Trust, the same person cannot be both Trustee and Beneficiary of there is only one Beneficiary of the Trust.

16. Terry_w

In most cases I advise against setting up a trust

Simon Hampel likes this.
  17. Terry_w

Both very weak asset protection because they are closed class trusts.

18. Terry_w

The trustee cannot be sole beneficiary as at law there would be no trust

19. Simon Hampel

Would including the option for a company beneficiary in the trust deed get around this limitation?

Alternatively, wouldn't you simply make the trust deed more generic "spouse, children, grandchildren, etc" - or is that insufficient if there is literally only a single beneficiary at this point in time?

20. Sigemup

Hi Simon,

I edited the LLC and made it Pty Ltd before your reply, but I guess you were already typing by then :)

And Thank you for input on the 2 trust structures I mentioned. I am as of now exploring the Trust structures and trying to understand them. The reason I would want to use them is still not something that I have thought about in detail - once I know more about the Trust structures and others then I would probably match the structure to the requirements for this.