Question re Sewer Diagram

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by scientist, 8th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

I'm considering this property and it's got a sewer mains running through the back part of the land (but not on the back edge) and the land between the back fence and the sewer pipe is shaded in the sewer diagram sketch. My solicitor pointed this out to me - he said the "plumber hashed the hand behind the pipe - this usually means you'll encounter difficulty building on it".

[​IMG]

I went and did further research and ascertained the following:
    1) the land is not in a flood zone, not subject to mainstream flooding or overland flows
    2) no easements
    3) title search looks clear

My solicitor can't get more specific than the above - what could he be referring to that would block, say, a granny flat build? Land is narrow block (12m frontage) and slopes towards the back gently. I'm aware of potential sewer concrete encasement requirement adding to construction cost and I'm fine with it.

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

You should call up council for explanation there would have a planning dept or the water authority. There are applications to build over easements but mainly for driveaway etc. normally sewer are close to the boundary of the lots strange it is within the block etc

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The hashed area means it can't be serviced by the sewer main. It Doesn't mean you can't build but by looking at that drawing the block slopes to the back and where the main runs through the block is to shallow for the hashed area to have fall into the main... Make sense?

Get the proper Syd water plan from the dial before you dig website and upload. That will be more accurate than the plumbers sketch you have. It may not be hashed

4. bob shovel

Here's a super rough cross section (not bad on the mobile telephone ;)) of what's going on. To build at the back and connect to the sewer the dwelling would need to sit higher than the main. A sewer connection servicing the bottom of the block would only service a few metres from the main
    Sketch81214419.jpg

And the solicitor is wrong, ask for a discount! ;)

5. scientist

This makes perfect sense, thank you!

Here is the DBYD sewer diagram
    [​IMG]

6. scientist

Also another question re solving the above problem - since the land slopes, can I do some fill magic?
    [​IMG]

OR will Sydney Water let me move the pipe further down the slope at my cost?

7. bob shovel

You can cut and full but you won't be able to touch their pipe. Just conc encase it

Is the block steep? And whats planned? The reason its set off the back fence is to service the rear end of the neighbouring blocks by the looks, you may still be able to connect in without major issues

8. scientist

I didn't eye the slope carefully last time I was there - is there some sort of online database with topographic info that I can pay for?

9. bob shovel

Was it obviously steep? Like difficult to walk down or just gentle?
    I think you'll be ok to connect. The plumber may have just hashed it because the junction off the main faces the house, you can run a pipe over the top of the main or just cut in a new junction of needed.
    I think you'll be ok, if your doing a GF you'll just have one side raised for the fall anyway, probably won't need any serious earth works

willair likes this.
  10. scientist

It was obvious that it was sloped, but then it's a deep block. Hard to say - possibly from the front to back maybe a 1-2m drop in total, but block length is 60m, so maybe 1-2 degree avg slope throughout

hopefully I can fit everythign I want ahead of the pipe, it should be the case. Thank you for all your info

11. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

It would be worthwhile checking the regulations regarding infill and remaining SEPP compliant

See part 5 in following document - NSW Legislation

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@bob shovel your knowledge in this field is amazing.

13. scientist

Absolutely agree - when I made this thread I wasn't hopeful on a clear answer but wow!

14. bob shovel

Ha :oops: Thanks guys @scientist @Leo2413
    Always happy to talk sh|t! Can you go back in time and tell my bosses that! I worked with some muppets at the time and spent a lot of time learning it myself and on site rather than "working as a team"
    Put in around 15km of sewer pipe and also looked after over 60km (?? Tbc) of relining pipes. So you get familiar with the plans and standards... But they all have their quirks and surprises!