Question on Refinancing - Offset Funds Locked

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by millenthingy, 8th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. millenthingy

millenthingy Member

Hi all, a question regarding tax and my income property.

Have an IP with ~250k principal owing, and 100k in offset. I'm refinancing with an additional 100k cash-out.

I understand that I can only tax-deduct interest on the 250k, not the additional 100k.

My issue: Previous lender has now frozen my offset (so loan is now showing 150k owing, 0 available) until settlement. I'm worried that this will be consolidated into the principal at settlement time, i.e. only 150k owing, meaning I'll only be able to tax-deduct interest on the 150k.

Does anybody know if this is the case?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Which lender?
    The question is whether it’s an offset to begin with, looking at the wording.

true offsets wouldnt be ‘available’?

3. millenthingy

millenthingy Member

ah, its with ING, and yes I think its actually an account with redraw facility - they referred to it as a 'sub-account'

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it is a redraw then it is effectively paid off the loan.
    You only owe $150K.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

OMG I hope you didn't use it for non-tax deductible purposes if it's a redraw..... there's going to be a world of accounting pain....

The Y-man

gman65 likes this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

sounds like only $150k potentially relates to that property and might have deductible interest. You have made a mistake.

7. millenthingy

millenthingy Member

Thanks for the reply, Terry. There's still a couple of days until settlement and the bank has said they will unfreeze my account for me to withdraw the funds. Hopefully I can undo this mistake :)

Thanks so much for raising that. I hadn't thought about what I was going to do with the funds, but I will be certain to keep them parked in my new "offset sub-account" until I am more informed.

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its too late. you have paid down a loan it seems.

gman65 likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Generally you split first. Then apply offsets to reduce the new split back to $0 on the non-deductible element.
    I would be chasing ING and drawing their attention to the issue and the harm it may cause and see if they can do it properly. If ING can rework what they did it may be fixable. I have had 2 clients take the issue p with their lender who backdated and fixed it in each case. Tell them they have disregarded the effect on tax deductibility to your detriment and will lodge a AFCA compliant.

ff3 likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.