Question on line of credit

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by albanga, 15th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hi Brokers,
    Question regarding line of credit and as always, consideration of loan structure and contamination.

Say I have a loan of 200k and I want to release funds but at this stage it is unknown exactly the purpose and how much I require specifically. Let us say I am thinking some will be for a holiday and perhaps also to pay for a deposit on an investment property. As a result I release 300k via a LOC.

6 months later I find an IP and need a 100k deposit, subsequently I decide to travel the world and given I have no savings, want to take 50k from my LOC.
    I now have 150k unused, 50k personal and 100k investment.

What is done in this situation, to ensure the loan remains intact? From past reading, I understand you need to turn the investment portion into a separate split to keep the dedcutability? If so what is the process? Is it another application, or is it simply calling the lender and saying please make 100k from LOC into an IO loan?

Thanks in advance

2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

In short you would end up with a mixed purpose loan. You need separate facilities for investment and personal expenses.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You would have a mixed loan of $50k and $100k. The unused portion hasn't been borrowed so it not an issue.

To fix this you would have to pay out both portions at the same time. i.e repay $200k into the loan so the balance is nil

But you would want to keep the $50k deductible so you would need to borrow this amount and repay the loan with this new loan and $100k from cash/another loan.

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Considering a LOC is IO and no principle has been paid, wouldn't be as simple as splitting the loan into the correct portions and playing on?

5. Terry_w

Yep split it into the relevant portions.

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I thought once the money has been borrowed and contaminated it can't then be split into deductible and non deductible debt. From my understanding you need to set up the correct structure in advance before borrowing the funds as it can't be corrected (split) after the event, even with no funds repaid.

Is my understanding incorrect?

7. albanga

Are you suggesting say I already spent the 100k for an investment deposit and 50k per my holiday and then down the track I realise they are mixed I could simply get the appropriate splits and then all is restored?

8. Jess Peletier

If no principle has been repaid, it can be as easy as that. It's when loan gets paid down that it gets messy. If funds are then redrawn out again, it's even worse.

albanga likes this.
  9. Jess Peletier

It's definitely better to get it done properly from the start, but in some instances it can be easily fixed, others, not so much. Depends how much drawing in and out of the loan has taken place.

10. albanga

Thanks Jess
    Given this is something of a grey area, could I just ask what is your recommended structure for someone who wants to release equity for both future personal and investment uses?

Would it just be a top-up of the existing PPOR loan for personal use as required and a separate split set aside for investment purposes?

11. Jess Peletier

No - the existing loan stays, and 2 new splits are created, one for each purpose. So you end up with 3 loans in total. :)

You don't want to top up your PPOR for personal in case it becomes an IP down the track.

Cactus and albanga like this.
  12. albanga

Thanks Jess, all very much appreciated :)

13. Terry_w

You must refinance the existing loan as if you just paid a sum of money into a mixed loan it would come off both portions.

Tax Tip 44: How to Un-Mix a Mixed Loan Tax Tip 44: How to Un-Mix a Mixed Loan

14. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

HI guys,

I have a question about Line of Credit.

How does it work?
    (Apologies for a simple question ; )l
    I have read few posts but just want clarification on do I need to apply for LOC loan initially when I take out the loan or I can add on later on ?

E.g. I already have loans on PPOR and IP''s.

But I am interested to know if LOC can be implemented on our PPOR loan which is split (variable and fixed interest only) to use for share investment's.

Thanks in advance.

15. Terry_w

A loc can be added later provided you have the equity and the income.

It is just a big credit facility which you can draw down as needed.

L3ha7 likes this.
  16. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Terry_w .

1. So I need to provide my latest pay slips ?

2. Any rough time frame for this to be added on to my current loan?

3. If I have special discount on my loan interest rate does it mean it won't apply on to LOC or it will?

Thanks.

17. Jess Peletier

1 - Yes 2- depends how quickly you can get docs back but 3 weeks would be about the soonest. 3 - only if you negotiate it.

Terry_w and L3ha7 like this.
  18. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.