question on finance for company director/employee

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Vertigo, 12th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

I am the single shareholder and also an employee of my company and am thinking about my next moves.

I have property but these were bought under an employee capacity many years ago in different circumstances.

The company is 4 years old and we have been trading very profitably for over 4 years. I am a high-income earner.

What sort of application will I need to undergo if I want to start purchasing property again in this capacity?

Will the banks analyze my application solely from the employee capacity? or/and will they take the balance sheet and contracts of the company also into the equation

thanks

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Being the sole shareholder (and presumably you're a director), you're self employed. Lenders will generally want your personal and business tax returns for the last 2 years (plus a few other things).

Lender's won't look at the contracts you have. Whilst this might describe the income to be earned, it doesn't say anything about the costs of delivering on those contracts.

3. David R Sutantyo

David R Sutantyo Well-Known Member

Depends on the lender. Most banks will take director's salary + company profit, but ING for example will take your individual tax return ONLY (no CTR) under condition that the company isn't running on a loss.

4. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies

5. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

Many different ways that lenders look at things. . Here are few different ways..

1) Looks solely at personal incomes paid during the 1 or 2 year assessment period (usually 2). This would be wages and allowances received in the personal tax return along with company dividends actually received. Ignore company profit and any add backs such as depreciation but company needs to show a profit or else loss is deducted from personal incomes. This method is really useful if the company has large debts and pays dividends..

2) Start at the company level and extract income from there ie net profit before tax + wages paid to you + depreciation + interest addback - P&I loan repayments on company debts = income available to service personal debts. My preferred methodology as indicates true income available.

3) Personal income ie wages received + company profit but ignore company debts. Limited options.

4) Low doc! bas statements , accountant declarations etc etc. higher rates.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.