Question for the PM's (and others) here - Handymen pain points

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Kesse, 14th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Noted, thanks :)

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

They need to have a hot body and look like Ricky martin.

Ok seriously I have gone through heaps of maintenece people and still do.
    Some of my key points:

I like guys that are on the ball, hungry for business but not desperate for money.

My tenants need to get a call on the same day work orders go out with a time arranged to get work done. It does not need to be done or quoted on that day but it needs to be booked in on that day.

They need to be flexible enough to do all my properties. If they can't travel an extra 30 mins to get a job done then they are not hungry enough to be our maintenance people, worrying about petrol costs etc does not work for me, take the job order and just do the work if I have to book in another maintenance person because that job is too far for them then they are making things too difficult for me.

They cannot be asking to be paid within a day of doing work maintenance is usually paid from rental income and creditors are paid once or twice a month, if they want to work with a real estate agency then they need to fit into the systems of that agency. They have the choice of getting their own work elsewhere where they can be paid immediately.

Most important, if job is not done to standard, they need to go back and redo it, no justifications or blame or crying, just do it.

Never talk to tenant about other maintenance issues. They need to understand they are working for an agency that acts on behalf of the landlord. Report back to us if anything else needs to be done, never the tenant.

I like calls to discuss things while they are on site, I like suggestions for further improvements, I like proactive trades people, I like before and after pictures, I like alternative suggestions.

Above and beyond, our guys will be called out to replace a blind in bedroom and fix the lock on the screen door on the way out at no charge because they had the part in the car and it took them 5 mins anyway.

I like them to check in and ensure all is well, fixing a leak on roof and calling my tenant after it rains to see if ok is great service.

I have 4 trades people and keep them busy almost full time, maintenance is huge in property management and the key is to make it as easy as possible for the agent. Special needs cannot be tolerated not because we don't want to but because we are just too damn busy.