question for RE agents

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Elives, 30th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

my friend recently sold his house at auction went for 780k. i put the value at 720-740k the RE agent quoted high 700's to low 800's through the month while it was open for inspection all the feedback via email was etc 620k-700k offers over the 3-4 weeks was on the market.

anyone else think this is strange or is this a general re agent trick?

my question is did the RE agent deliberately write those emails with low numbers / offers so that when the auction came my friend (the vendor) would feel good about the outcome?

it just seems strange that the RE agent quotes high 700s to low 800s then for 3-4 weeks all of the offers are 620-700 range and then on auction it goes for 780k anyone else think this is strange?

BigKahuna likes this.
  2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Nothing about that scenario seems strange, the RE knew what to expect and delivered within the promised range.

Of course people will put in low offers prior to auction, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I would never offer my intended maximum price prior to auction but I would certainly bid up to it on the day if I had to

BigKahuna likes this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yeah, not unusual. Low offers from bargain hunters initially. Realistic buyers at auction who likely got emotionally involved and overpaid.

Jacque likes this.
  4. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Normal. As @Propertunity says of course you'll have some opportunists having a crack before auction in a lower price range. Auction is normally opted for in order to target emotional buyers that will pay over the odds and/or in an area of high demand that will end in a bidding war where someone pays over the odds. Market comparibles are not kept in mind every moment by a bidder that has allowed emotions or pride to get away from them during the auction. He who offers the highest price shall win the auction and be committed to the sale. Regardless of whether they think it wasn't such a good idea afterwards. You win the auction, congrats. You are the buyer.

5. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

The end result was true to the agents word and hopefully, what the owner wanted. Don't see any issues here. And if the agent was trying to condition the owner, he still got a great result so why would there be an issue? The only issue here would have been if the agent convinced the owner to sell prior.

6. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Buyers want it for as little as possible

Vendors want as much as possible.

If a buyer emails their highest offer all it does is reveal their cards unless the vendor accepts it. When I worked in RE all the time I would get a email for a buyer saying I will buy for $x00,000 and no more and they cannot make it to auction. Long and behold auction day comes and they are there and bid more than what they said was their highest price.

Just remember everyone lies in a RE transaction, buyers say this is their highest but bid more. Vendors say we will not accept anything less than x and accept less. So with both sides telling lies how is the REA meant to tell the truth? (not saying REA are 100% truthful here).

BigKahuna and CU@THETOP like this.
  7. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

At least the agent didn't under quote in the first place. Sounds like a good result for your friend. He should be pleased.
    As others have said, buyer feedback prior to auction never indicative of final outcome. Most buyers leave something up their sleeve come auction day.

Propertunity likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The last place we sold was to be by auction. Appraisals before we renovated were "low sixes".

We painted, tidied up inside and outside (had been a student house for 15 years - you can imagine...:eek:).

When it was close enough to finished to see how it might look, the agent we chose suggested we would definitely get "high sixes" and may get into "the sevens".

He followed up everyone who went through. Most were around the "low to mid 600" or "mid to high 600". One lady said she thought $500k and she would like to come for a second inspection - our reaction... please don't bother :rolleyes:.

With no firm bidders about ten days out, we had an offer ($710k? cannot recall exactly) and we countered. Settled at $725k.

The feedback was believable because it was from mostly people who were not interested in the house to buy, so they were happy to be honest and not really being cagey with the agent.

Elives likes this.
  9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It's a trick used to attract more interest, not for the vendor necessarily but to increase competition.
    Good outcome in this case, the agent delivered as promised, however the range was a bit too wide.

It's not legal in SA anymore and the bottom figure needs to be justified by comparables before it's advertised.

BigKahuna likes this.
  10. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

One more question for agents please ? After a sale do agents send a final account to their client which sets out amounts for final commissions, fees and charges ?
    I'm finding that extremely hard to get as they say I have to get it from my conveyancer ??
    If I bill someone I have to provide a final statement !

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You should get a cheque or a deposit to your account for the deposit less the fees with a statement as well.

12. Agent99

Our conveyancer has given us a statement which also has an amount paid to the agent but no breakdown of commissions or fees ? Meaning the agent only gave the conveyancer their account but not us. Is that normal ?

13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It should be in your agency agreement.

14. Agent99

Yes it is if you go searching but what I wanted was a statement showing the amount of commission in $$$ terms (commission is stated in % in agreement ) and any other fees.
    Maybe I hoped that an agent would act like any other business owner and give you an itemised account at the end, its probably about 3 minutes worth of their time !:D

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hey Elives, what suburb was it in?

16. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

pm'd you :)

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

No worries.
    Cheers!

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.