Question for PMS regarding becoming your tradie

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by TonyE, 7th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TonyE

TonyE Member

Hey Guys,
    I have a question for the property managers amongst us, I have just started my own Painting Company after many years working for others and want to know the correct way to approach PMs in regards to looking for a chance to quote work for them.
    I have worked a lot for PMs under my last Employer but he handled all the interactions whilst I performed the labour (and made him look good).
    I am located in Cairns, Cheers for your time.
    Tony

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Contact the head of property management at each agency and give them your spiel (in person). Cold calling is the hard bit but once you've broken the ice, it's easier to speak with them.

Follow up with an email and a phone call a week later.

3. Hi Tony,
    Unfortunately I am not located in Cairns, but as a property manager we are always looking out for extra tradies to have on our books - you never know when someone will be on holidays, sick, booked out etc.

I would recommend just dropping in and asking to speak to the property manager. Introduce yourself and make sure you have all your information to hand over in person (trading name, insurance details etc) so that they can put you in their system straight away.

Following up shortly after with a phone call or email would be a good idea too, if you don't hear anything straight away don't give up hope they might just be waiting for some work to come in.

Contact as many real estate agents in the area you can, and just keep reminding them you're available until you develop a relationship :)

Good luck!

4. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but the girls in my office are much more open to talking to a new walk in trade if they bring donuts... PMs often don't take a proper lunch break, but free donuts. Keep receipts for your business as this is all part of marketing expenses!

Tom Rivera and Redwing like this.
  5. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

We have a handyman business in Cairns and found when starting out that, as mentioned, the good ol rocking up and introducing yourself works well. You probably won't get a lot of jobs to begin with but as soon as you prove yourself to be a decent tradie you'll probably be inundated with work. The hard part is getting your foot in the door and getting a couple of out of them. The easy part is doing the decent job and making life as easy as possible for the PM.

Feel free to pm me if you want to chat further :)

DaveM and Redwing like this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Oh yeah, food is my kryptonite!

Good painters who aren't rude, know how to do basic plastering, don't paint the door handles, don't have a three month waiting list and wont quote $5,000 for one coat are VERY hard to find. Just taking the initiative to call and introduce yourself would put you straight at the top of my list for the next painting job.

DaveM likes this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Are you sure your girls aren't American police officers :)

8. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

Tell you what - we feel like police officers some times with the stuff we deal with!

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.