Question for Melbourne brokers

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Nina00, 26th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nina00

Nina00 Well-Known Member

I’m interested in learning more about who the buyers are that are able to pay exorbitant prices for houses in Melbourne. I’m not talking about affluent areas like Toorak that were alway expensive but more so the average suburban house. Are they the average couple that have heaps of equity from their previous house and can now spend 1.4 million on an average house in the burbs?
    Have these people stretched themselves to the absolute max and will they struggle when interest rates go up? Just trying to understand what is happening and the potential outcome of this crazy market.
    So basically what types of people are buying in this market?

momentum26 likes this.
  2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Very few investors are buying $1.4M properties anywhere. Most of the investment deals I see are under $700k.

Owner occupier deals in Melbourne often go to $1.5M, most people are stretching their serviceability to achieve this. As rates increase some will find themselves in mortgage stress, but most will be able to adapt. Keep in mind that lenders assess using rates at least 2.5% higher than what people actually pay.

There are also several other layers of conservative measures in place restrictinghow much people can borrow. . A few years ago peoples borrowing power was significantly higher as were interst rates, but default rates were not materially different.

Nina00 likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

We do a bit in Melbourne

Simples i believe. Lots of demand little supply.

Many cashed up expats coming back

Many folks that would normally go OS for a few years to work arent, and are buying instead.

Confidence in the general economy

Investors that want a big city, but cant find value in Sydney​

ta
    rolf

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia