Question for All landscaping gurus

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Sackie, 15th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Do these trees, plants, bamboo look healthy? Landscaper said they are fine and to be planted next Wednesday. He said he's killing all the weeds first, then will add new soil with a bunch of nutrients.

Anything I need to pay attention to/ask/question Landscaper?

TIA!
    20220515_120841.jpg

20220515_120848.jpg

20220515_120908.jpg

20220515_120951.jpg
    20220515_120922.jpg

2. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

Looks good. They all tough plants and the weather is quite good to keep them there.

Once in the ground they will establish and make your courtyard look fantastic.

Stoffo and Sackie like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks...I was a little worried about the one that looks 'twiggy'. I assume once in ground it will grow well.

Also, will those olive trees give olives? I've been told different things.

4. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

We are in autumn, so deciduous trees will drop all leaves.

Not an expert in olive trees, they are pretty sturdy and if it can get enough sun then should be ok.

I live where lots of old Greek migrants have planted olive trees everywhere. It's cool but it's easier to just buy the olives from woolies :p:p

wylie and Sackie like this.
  5. tomerayz

tomerayz Well-Known Member

Olive trees take a long time to mature & start producing olives. With the right weather & time, they will produce olives.
    The rest of the selections look good. Your landscaper seems knowledgable & has chosen plants that are hardy and can take on the weather & drought tolerant too. Good choices!

Sackie likes this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Olives may require another compatible plant to pollinate. You'd have to research.

I'm with @Tofubiscuit. Olives seem to be a lot of work to prepare. Raw olives taste dreadful. I'd rather buy ready to eat olives from a deli, and have some variety and flavour without the fuss.

wylie and Sackie like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks! Reassuring. I'm the idiot who asked for 3 olive trees. They are planned to be put in festive pots on the courtyard. :rolleyes: thanks for your feedback. Does the blueberry ash and crape mertle look OK?

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah the trees weren't purchased with Tue intention for getting olives per se, just as part Tue plan to be potted in the courtyard.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Also, how long do you reckon it'll take for those clumping bamboo to form a nice privacy wall? Currently around 6m but not thick.

10. Hamwow

Hamwow Active Member

Not a mistake at all IMHO Sackie. We have just bought 3x Olive trees for our place in Brisbane. Comments from others are correct from what I understand, but even if you don't plan to harvest the grey/green foliage is just beautiful to look at. Make sure you get decent sized pots and premium soil and you should be good to go. They can grow pretty quickly when younger, but definitely slow growers as they mature. Larger pots will also lift the plant height another few inches which really enhances the look.

Sackie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks for your feedback mate. We'll get 3 large pots. Do they require another plant to pollinate?

12. geoffw

Some varieties self pollinate; some don't need another tree but bear better if there is one; and some require another tree.

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Crepe myrtle are deciduous so don’t stress if (when) they lose their leaves.

Sackie likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It's this one.

Screenshot_20220515-202214_Chrome.jpg

16. Hamwow

Hamwow Active Member

Agree with geoffw's response. Plenty of info online, just search based on variety as they all have their quirks. Ours do better with another variety nearby apparently, but would still fruit without this. They also fruit young and can handle SEQ climate, so was an easy choice (Arbequina) for us.

Sackie likes this.
  17. geoffw

There are many varieties within that species.

Search - each variety indicates in the description whether or not it's self pollinating.

But it doesn't matter for you - you have more than one, so you should be ok.

Sackie likes this.
  18. Hamwow

Hamwow Active Member

Sackie - not 100% sure but I think Olea Europa and Arbequina might actually be different names for the same variety. If so then self-pollinating, but cross-pollination should see an improved yield.

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll ask my landscaper next week about what plant to put near it for better growth.

Hamwow likes this.
  20. geoffw

Arbequina is a variety of Olea Europea
    Buy Olive Arbequina Fruit Tree in Australia - Olea europaea

Btw, I've had a couple of trees from Daley's, and found them to be very good. The prices look high, but they are good size, healthy, plants.

Sackie and Hamwow like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia