Question about spare cash

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Angel, 22nd Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We have a few options with what to do with the extra cash after we settle an IP sale next week.

Once the mortgage is discharged on this property and the car loan is paid off, we will have about $150k. We have a loan split against our PPOR (fully tax deductable) and I was going to pay that out as well.

Should we pay most of the outstanding balance and have access to redrawing it in the future if we want to, rather than paying it outright and forgetting about it. We do not have any offset.

Should I phone a broker for a chat? Financial Planner? Accountant? Or just set up a meeting with my friends here from PC.

At our age and with such low incomes, we are not likely to be able to get finance in the future if we wanted to but I am getting the urge to buy a different PPOR.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Why not just get an offset?

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The finance company doesn't have them! I do not want to try to refinance given the points I made above, and penalties for selling a financed property shortly after refinancing, eg in the next one or two years.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

An all expenses paid PC meetup sounds great :D
    Surely @datto has somewhere we can all meet up/party :cool:

datto likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a bit of class. One of the pubs in the Druitt?

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Hard to go past the Rooty Hill RSL

datto likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Of course, how could I forget the Vegas of the West. Not strictly in the Druitt but not far from it nonetheless.

Also, there is Panthers, world of entertainment club in Penrith. Watch live UFC fights. In the car park! Look at someone the wrong way and be part of the action!

Foxy Moron likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That's not quite the meeting I had in mind. But next time I'm in Sydney and I need a break from the inner suburbs culture, count me in.

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Accommodation can be had on a couch, floor or the back seat of an old Commodore on blocks out the back supplied by @datto :D

Just ensure you bring enough supplies to keep the host well lubricated and entertained ;):cool:

datto likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We also cannot borrow, so when we had a chunk of cash ready for our development, I sat as much into offset as I could, and the rest I sat in an ING high interest account. Of course, that meant I earned interest and paid some tax on that interest, but I preferred that it was in my control and the bank couldn't say "thank you, we'll take that".

That was not a big risk, but I wanted total control of our funds.

If you deposit anything into your loan accounts, make sure first that you have set up redraw so you know you can sell your PPOR and buy another and do a security switch and still be able to draw the loan up fully again.

Islay likes this.
  11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

can u port the loan to another Security ?

ta
    rolf

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Not sure much of anything about the loans. Let's say the original broker is backpacking around South America somewhere and doesn't answer his calls. His business partner doesn't answer calls either. I have been developing relationships with a couple of different brokers so I probably need to talk to them again, although they probably wont get any fees from the lender for their time which I dont like either.

I keep changing my mind as to which property I would keep and which I would sell when we retire and pay out all the mortgages. The economy is bouncing around and changing direction so fast this year. Through this exercise, I am kinda answering my own question: Drop most of it into the remaining loans so we can redraw later if we want to and if the bank doesn't cancel it. Hanging around in a cash deposit vs paying zero repayments is a no-brainer.

13. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

I also have a question about 'spare cash': what is it?

craigc, Lacrim, mitsui and 5 others like this.
  14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Never mind!

Pingu1988 likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF