Question about regular maintenance to be done on IPs

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jat, 5th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a few IPs and recently had to replace a few kitchens because they have some leaking and the tenants never told us, we realised of this when they moved out and the kitchen was completely damaged.
    The same with another situation where the roof was leaking and I found it out because I sent a tradie to fix something else and he told me, that caused a damage on the ceiling and walls. This other tenant also didn't notify anything. I had a few other examples like that also.

I understand it can be the tenant a bit careless and when the PM does the inspection they may overlook this things.
    Also the IPs are in different states so is not easy for me to do the inspections myself.
    I was wondering if anyone has a way to periodically control those things are ok and prevent major damages.
    I was thinking in sending a plumber every year to check the wet areas of the house. Another option I was thinking on was a building inspector that would check roof, wet areas, structures, etc...I believe the building inspector is a bit pricey to be sent every year, and sending the plumber alone maybe won't pick on things like a roof leaking.

Any recommendations on how to perform a periodic maintenance check to prevent major issues?

Thanks in advance!

2. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I think you may need a new pm (speaking as someone that lives away from their properties). Some maintenance is expected but what your describing sounds like long term damage that shouldn’t be hard to miss at an inspection. Does your pm do like a tenant induction with new tenants to go through what’s expected and hat the tenant responsibilities are?

I’ve had tenants that could barely speak English but had been taken through the process well enough by the pm to be able report maintenance (sometimes via their kids as interpreters) so to me something sounds wrong with the process your pm is following. You could send through a good handyman annually to do a check around and fix minor stuff whilst they are there as a backup but a good pm shouldn’t miss this stuff.

Hope you get it sorted, sounds expensive!

Gockie likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We always personally inspected our IPs annually, mainly to check the overall condition of the property.

The PM is responsible for the tenancy. Routine Inspections are usually to inspect that the tenant is not damaging the property and that it is being kept in an orderly manner. Certainly they should notice obvious problems, but are not there to do a building inspection for you.

Most PMs have a handyman contact. It should not cost much to have this person go and have a more in-depth look around, paying attention to any issues you specify.
    Marg

Propertunity and D.T. like this.
  4. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice!

Some things were too obvious and the PM missed them (2 different PMs) not working with them anymore.
    Some other things could need someone that knows more about wet areas or things like that. I believe the handyman every year will be the way to go.
    Anyone manage a sort of list for things to check every year that would prevent damages?
    I worked out the following list but maybe there are more things:

leaking taps or pipes
    check wet areas are ok
    silicone on wet areas is ok
    Kitchen sink
    Under kitchen sink
    Bathtub and vanity
    Laundry
    Mould in ceilings and walls
    Gutters conditions is ok? or need repair?

Thanks!
    Jat

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If it works out cheaper, I'd get a building inspector out.

PMs should be looking out for the obvious things, but you can't expect them to go thru every cupboard looking for defects. That said, your current PM sounds pretty slack.

6. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Thanks Nek, yes, those PM were really bad, I let them go already. But for the future I want to be more certain things are in the right shape and I agree with you I can't ask the PM to check things at a detail level and missing things like water under the kitchen sink it end up very expensive.

I wonder how you guys currently doing it? besides going in person to the property, do you have something in place to address these type of issues?

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice